Hitachi tuning 240Z

gmkeegan

hi guys so i bought a 1971 240Z first thing i did was take the carbs off and give them a new rebuild kit! put them back on the car and it runs idles but when i hit the throttle it bogs or backfires then i know it's too rich..... so i lean it out and it still bogs... i read online if it's too rich and you lift the float it will revs up. but mine bogs down. can anyone help? oh last thing some of my emissions hoses are cracked and not connected does will that cause for a bad tune?  

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the float levels are wrong.  Be sure you are using ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil in the piston dampers.  Your chokes may be sticking DOWN if you used them.

omg i totally dumped the one side out by accident.. i'm going to refill it tomorrow and tell you how it goes thanks again!! 

Backfire can be from too lean. Did you refill the dampers with oil? The dampers delay the opening forcing a slightly richer mixture on sudden acceleration.

when cleaning the one carb i dumped out the oil by mistake i am going to try tomorrow and tell you how it goes. too dark now. thanks again!!

• Like 1

It's the viscosity that slows the sudden opening of the slide. Some like ATF but it's too thin. It doesn't really have a weight rating and it varies between makers. For above 40-50F maybe try 20w40 engine oil and increase it in stages till you get what you want?

• 2 weeks later...

Down here in az atf is all I ever ran in my su carbs. Thing ran like a stuck pig. I think altitude has a factor...just a thought. I went up the mountain in Tucson (considerable altitude change of a couple thousand feet) and when I got towards the top it started to bog and sputter and sound like crap. Probably cause I ran atf. I messed with those carbs for about two hours trying to get it to run smooth again but no luck.

• Like 1