Rubbing noise? 85 z24

SolidZ24x4

After much trial, error, revision, and tedious instruction following, I've got my z24 running again after replacing the head gasket and timing cover gasket.

Unfortunately, there is a vague rubbing sound coming from the front of the engine. I am inclined to say it's the pulley; in lieu of a puller, I beat the thing with a hammer and pried with a small bar to get the pulls off. It can be seen wobbling a bit. Also I'm wondering if maybe I pushed the main seal too hard against the oil slinger?

Has anybody else had this problem? I want to try and run the thing without any belts hooked up, or even w/o the pulley to see if the noise persists.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbing? If the pulley is wobbling likely the belt. Loosen them and try it.

Apparently the Z24 has an harmonic damper and you may have moved the outer pulley on the rubber covering. Remove the pulley properly with a puller and see if it can be straightened or replace.

Would it be possible to run the engine for a few seconds without any of the belts hooked up? Ignition should be covered by the battery, but w/o water pressure would it be okay for short duration?

I'm inclined to think its the pulley, I really wasn't nice to that thing...

This is where I'm going to start, will keep you posted thanks.

Money.

Don't listen to any chud who tells you "its okay, its not pressure fitted, you can get it with a hammer."

But I regress, I should have seen it coming; I mean even the words, 'harmonic-balancer' and 'hammer' definitely don't go together. Maybe less Red-Bull next time...

Something useful: The harmonic-balancer off a 20b will work on the 24z. I would post a pic, but you all know what harmonic balance looks like, right?

Thanks for the help tho.

You can use a hammer, or better a mallet, to pull them. You just can't beat on them. Hundred light taps around the whole perimeter as opposed to actually beating it off of the crank. They aren't press fit. If they are stuck, it's grunge or rust.