Hundred buck truck! 1979 620 kc

Dick222

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogie.

I would LOVE to sand off the rattle can. Any advice? Just my orbital and super fine grit? Where can i get color match fenders?

To start off I've never had to do this myself

I've HEARD different way to do it are

-Just try to buff it off

-Lacquer thinner

-Wet sand then buff (what I would do)

Thing to keep in mind are whatever sand scratches you make will need to be sanded and buffed out to make it look good, whatever sand scratches and patches the PO put in to cover up old paint and the question; how shitty does it look under the rattle can and what were they trying to cover up?

I like ratty old stock paint with a little rust but if you unearth a bunch of sketchy body work you might have a much uglier truck and a boger project on your hands. I would look the truck over to see what you can find before you start sanding

About the paint color matching fenders, you'll just have to look around until you find one. I'm still looking for a nice tan RH fender

Thanx lenrobertson

I'm gonna run down there today. There's a parts truck on cl for $150 right now in Coeur d alene.thought i might run by and check it out as well. Price is right

It is worth looking at, although the passenger side fender may be bad. The seller didn't knock himself out posting good pics!. Also it is '72 so some things will be different from your '79. I think the engine is a 1600, but could have been swapped for an L20b. It could have a 5-speed and pedal set, if you want to delete your auto.

There is a $200 OBO one in Newport, but he didn't even bother to include the year in the ad or a pic. These guys really are trying hard to sell their stuff!

If you talk to Matt at the Cheney NAPA, ask him about Mike in Spokane who may have 620 parts. Also have him check with Reg about his dad's parts 620. I don't think that has a good fender, but at least it is a '79 as I recall.

Also there is a Ratsuner in Lewiston, ID who may have 620 stuff. If you can't find parts in Spokane and want to contact him, I'll rack my brain trying to remember his ID.

Len

The guy in Lewiston, his name is Kim. 420n620 is his user name here.

I think he actually lives in Clarkson, WA. I can't remember. I only went there once.

Close enough though.

He has a yard full of trucks.

Thanks flatcat. I remembered something like 420x620, but that didn't seem right. Didn't work in the Member's search either. It is always amazing when I have even a partial memory of something. Anyway, I believe Kim comes to Spokane now and then if he has something you need and don't want to make an expedition to Clarkson.

Len

So I've been doing all of this from my phone. Laptop will be close enough...

Screenshot_20160424-001051_zpsvdba4cqn.p

On the laptop screen, right side will be 4 different code links.

Click the IMG code. You will see it flash yellow and say "Copied."

Paste that code to the text box below.

flatcat - Do you know how to find the IMG code in Flickr? I used to be able to do it, but I think Flickr has done one of their "improvements" (aka - something to occupy their programers). I can't find anything for my Flickr pics that makes the Ratsun Image box happy.

Len

I don't use flikr. I'm lucky enough to be able to understand photobucket.

OK Thanks. I think one time out of frustration with Flickr I set up a Photobucket account. I don't especially care for Photobucket - the whole layout of their pages is kind of lame and it seems really slow to load (for me with a pokey internet service). But I do recall being able to post a pic to Ratsun from there.

Meanwhile Yahoo that owns Flickr has one foot on a banana peel from a business standpoint. Perpetually teetering on the brink of going TU. I keep hoping to read Yahoo has gone bankrupt, but then I'd lose my Flickr account and several Yahoo newsgroups. Maybe some company will buy Flickr and can Melissa Mayer. That would make me feel a little better, even though Flickr probably wouldn't work any better with her gone. It is always entertaining to read the Bitch About Flickr section on their site. Lots of angry people.

Len

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...