Need help!

kailio

For the past few months I have been working on 1970 510 with a L18 engine.  The 510 was sitting in a garage for the past 20 years, and for the most part in good condition with almost no rust. The one thing was the engine did not work. However it was nothing more than a few part changes/ part cleaning to get it running. The fuel line I had had gunk in it, so the engine wasn't being fed gas. I am 18 years old and have no knowledge of cars or how they work, other than a few Youtube videos. My next step is to install a new fuel line, and hope that the engine runs properly. The previous owner said the drive shaft was stuck (not sure where) and he was unable to pull it out, and that the gear box is broken. I am not too sure how to approach this, or what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun

Buy a service manual!!!

Also searching google with key words like '510 fuel line replacement Ratsun" and you'll likely find a thread where someone already did the same thing

From what you said it sounds like your going to be spending a lot of time under this car so make sure you have flat ground, and quality jack and jack stands.

If your replacing the fuel lines you will need to buy small tube bender, and you just bend the new lines to match the old ones, done. You can get those bother at auto parts store. Use flare wrenches to remove old and reinstall new. PB Blaster penetrating lubricant is your friend.

"the drive shaft was stuck...' How did you move this thing? 

"the gear box is broken..."    ^^^same as above          and he was probably was telling you the transmission was seized 

Put the car up on the above mentioned jack stands and with the transmission in nuetral rotate the rear wheels by hand to see if the driveline rotates

If it doesn't rotate, pull the driveline, then rotate the wheel again and if the rear end gears don't rotate that is your issue

If the rear end gears rotate, rotate the out put shaft of the transmission, if it doesn't rotate than that is your issue.

Once the drive line is out you can inspect the U-joints to see how freely they move to see if it is 'stuck'

Whichever doesn't rotate, rear end or transmission, drain the oil and inspect for chunks or sludge. This will give you an idea for the failure but if its not rotating you'll need to replace it anyways.

Process of elimination dude.

And last but maybe the most important for the people on this forum to help you,

Create an account on photobucket, upload pics and copy/paste IMG link in reply box here to post pics of you car and its issues

• Like 1

Eight liter.... mmmmm

Yes a Nissan produced FSM (factory service manual) is the best. Chilton's and Haynes are barely ok but in a pinch will just have to do until you can get your own FSM. Another highly recommended book is: How To eep Your Datsun Alive.

L18 engine can be confirmed by looking on the flat boss just behind the dipstick. It will give the engine size there. An L18 is not the stock engine for the 510 but it's lounger brother and pretty much identical on the outside. This would mean the engine and maybe the transmission has been removed at some time. This is not a bad thing just something to note.

What did the fuel filter look like inside? If a brown paste maybe the tank should come out and be cleaned. If not (just my opinion) I would just keep an eye on the new filter. It will catch any 'bad stuff' from the tank. If it continues to run well and stay clean I say good to go. If it gets rusty brown or clogs up then see about cleaning the tank. 

Lots of stuff can be found out by asking the search engine to get an idea or plan. If not sure ask an opinion. But definitely research research research first.

welcome to Ratsun

• 2 weeks later...