810 blew headgasket, time for a engine project

SLC_810

So, the goon blew the gasket between the compression and coolant, no water in the oil, and left me stranded. Got it home and am starting the breakdown so swap out the headgasket. I am replacing most everything on the upper end including the valves but would love to ditch the entire fuel injection piece of crap. The challenge is this car still needs to pass emissions in Utah sooooo...Any suggestions? I thought about a pair of SU carbs or a 6 pack. I am open to suggestions and will keep pics and updates on engine rebuild.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The challenge is this car still needs to pass emissions in Utah sooooo...Any suggestions?

Not necessarily true. Go to dmv, register it as vintage. You pay $45 and the state never looks at the car again. No emissions. No safety.

Technically this kind of car isn't supposed to be used as a daily driver, but the state keeps ZERO records, so there is no way to prove that you are doing so.

Vintage reg it and you have carte blanche.

Yes, I'm Utahn. Yes, I do this.

• Like 1

Breakdown time. We got the head pulled and it doesn't look horrible. I can tell I burned through a radiator full of coolant by the crap on the pistons ( possible happening slowly for awhile, but the gasket didn't look fully breached. I do know it was between the pistons and the coolant becuase the block deteror fluid turned yellow so  we rebuild. No evidence of any cracks in the pistons via observation but keeping fingers crossed. Need to dismantle head and get it to machine shop.

So, I can't pull images from G+ or facebook. Any suggestions?

Before you unbolt the cam sprocket do you know how to secure the timing chain tensioner so it does not fall out???????? Failure to do so will add 4-6 hours of work to correct the problem this causes.

I did secure it but I'm pulling the entire front cover anyway. Going to replace the chain, guides and tensioner while I am at it. The front cover seasl has been weaping oil a bit too so I am replacing that as well.

• Like 1

The Valves look really clean but there was a brownish scum on 2 of the piston tops. Wiped off so it isn't baked on. Odd.

Head goes into machine shop tomorrow to be shaved, cleaned, new vales, seals, etc. Whole top end getting replaced since I have it off. So tempting to just dig into everything.

• 1 month later...

It is done, well mostly. I have posted pics on my facebook if you really want to look . The weirest thing though. I couldn't get it to ignite. The engine turned over but only occasionally backfired. I pulled the valve cover and made sure that the timing chain was perfect, which it was. I then looked at the distributor and it was exactly 180 degrees off. I pulled teh distributor to make sure I wasn't seeing things and sure enough, the distributor drive shaft was in the 11:25 position but exactly 180 degrees off. Not sure how in the heck I pulled that one but luckily and easy fix.

• Like 1

Whew, fixed and running smooth. had to pull the oilpump and shift the oil pump drive shaft but it runs smooth like butter. Engine project completed. Now its time to get the exterior cleaned, sanded, primed and repainted. Then on to the Interior.

This one is done

• Like 1