Fan Clutch Part Number?

Seaway

My fan clutch just seized on my 1985 Nissan 720 and the truck now sounds like an airplane at any RPM over about 1500.  Looks like it is time for a new fan clutch.

I am having trouble figuring out which part to order and then what is required for install.  When searching Rock Auto under "Radiator Fan Clutch" I get a couple options and then under "Water Pump" there are many more options.

The clutch and water pump are one unit, correct?  So to install I should drain the coolant, loosen the fan belt, remove the water pump/clutch assembly, swap the fan to the new assembly, reinstall the gasket and new clutch/pump assembly?

Anything else I should know?  I am also going to be installing a new thermostat while I am in there.

I know people have switched to electric fans, which is appealing, but I am not all that well versed on electrical work.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Order the water pump, the clutch fan should be on it. Indicate year and engine (gas  Z24 or Z20 or diesel SD25)

I would remove the rad too... for more room and so it doesn't get a hole poked in it. As it is old I would remove the hoses from the engine rather than pulling and tugging on the fragile rad hose outlets.

If replacing the thermostat, spend at least $10 on one. They are toooooo important to cheap out.

Sorry, it is a Z24 engine.

Okay, I figured that the water pump and fan clutch were a one piece deal.  I just couldn't figure out why the part numbers didn't match when searching for water pump and fan clutch.

I ordered a Stant Premium 180 degree thermostat, so I should be good.  The one in the truck now seems to be fine, but I figured that if I was in there I might as well replace it.  I have no idea how old it is and if it is anything like the rest of the truck has been it is probably 31 years old...

Thanks for the advice on the radiator and hoses.