Any interest in vintage Toshiba sealed beams?

Markos

Hi Folks,

I'm new here and it appears that you have some pretty restrictive entrance criteria to start posting. I don't own a Datsun, but my parts BMW came with a clean set of Toshiba sealed beams. I was wondering if there was any interest in these. If so, I'll post them for sale. I know that a few members run them. They look cool but won't match the light output of a modern lamp. Although my post count is zero, I'm active under the same username on vwvortex.com and e9coupe.com

I tested both and the work.

24771073432_300b6c32fe_b.jpg

24366298143_e7043d09d5_b.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Markos and welcome to Ratsun. I would ask that any for sale items be put in the proper classifieds section, there's a link at the top of every page under the RATSUN.NET logo.

That's a good question. Headlamp technology has come a long way in 40 years, I remember my first set of halogen lamps on my 521. I guess a purist would run them along with retro nylon tires and lead/acid battery.

Lead acid battery is sometimes the only choice!  The 1967 RL411 and only the 1964 Corvair [no other model years] are the only known users of their lead acid type battery!  Makes replacement a crap shoot!  Rumor has it that some late Datsun or Nissan trucks have this battery, but extensive search by local parts vendors only come up with the Corvair and 1967 RL411 Datsun SSS as the only users.  Most replacement battery manufacturers quit producing this battery because the then construction technology produced an open top sealed by "tar" inlays and the 1964 Corvair had relocated the spare tire to the engine compartment thus needing the narrow unique battery, so the battery seepage of acid fumes proceeded to dissolve the Left Rear steel of the Corvair due to Sulphuric Acid fumes.  Owned both [and still own the Datsun] so this is first hand testimony!  GM Delco still produces a replacement for the original weird battery. but they have gone to a sealed top and more recent "Lead Calcium" maintenance free grid system which eliminates the venting and corrosion problems.

Hi Markos and welcome to Ratsun. I would ask that any for sale items be put in the proper classifieds section, there's a link at the top of every page under the RATSUN.NET logo.

That's a good question. Headlamp technology has come a long way in 40 years, I remember my first set of halogen lamps on my 521. I guess a purist would run them along with retro nylon tires and lead/acid battery.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the polite suggestion. I posted this here because your forum rules don't allow the first post to be a classified ad. As much as I'd love to own a 510, I don't anticipate being very active on the forum. I'm just an active forum member in general for my various hobbies. I like to post stuff for sale that way. Now that I'm approved I'll post a for sale ad.

My starter batteries are typically AGM (absorbent Glass Matt) aka sealed battery like Optima., but still lead acid. Perhaps you are referring to the old lead acids that required a water refill now and then. Unless your daily driver is a McLaren 12c or a Porsche GT3, you won't be using a Lithium Ion starter batter anytime soon.

Markos dont leave so fast!! You cant tease use with the front end of a E9 and expect to get away without showing the whole car!!

I

Well... I sure do love to embed pictures in every post. :)

Someday I hope to have two fully functional E9's in my driveway...

24262528913_3d7f9341e0_b.jpg

I bought this '71 2800CS a little over a year ago for $3K from a neighbor. It runs and drives, but the interior is in poor shape. There is rust, but much less than I initially expected. I intend to replace most of the interior. All I need at this point is carpet and new leather for the front seats. I have a build thread here that includes the restoration cost down to the dollar. There aren't a lot of build threads that include the financials, so I thought it would be fun. As you can see, I mostly just buy parts. I haven't gotten very far on the build out. I blame the two young kids!

16774601638_7357cd626f_b.jpg

A few months ago I picked up a '73 CSI for $3K. Another neighbor was selling his 2002, and the buyer mentioned that his buddy had an 'E9 that he wasn't making headway on. Contact info was exchanged. This car is beyond repair for all but the most skilled restoration shops. The dashboard is in fantastic shape, and it had several other key parts that I needed. I am keeping the bits that I need and parting the car. Restored, this car would be worth significantly more than my 2800CS. Somebody cut the VIN off at some point, so it will always have a black eye that would require explanation. I have a deconstruction thread on this car here. A lot of people say that cars like this aren't worth the asking price, but I intend to highlight that this simply isn't true. Like my build thread, I'm tracking the part out down to the dollar.

24616242410_96bc58474e_b.jpg

• Like 1

The new batteries don't out-gas much if at all. I remember checking and topping the battery up on my early cars... '64 Dodge and my dad's '51 Chev.

The modern low or no maintenance car batteries are a direct descendent of the Minuteman Missile System Launch Site requirements for low maintenance backup battery stacks in the Launch Control and actual Missile Launch Sites.  The low maintenance batteries were "Lead Calcium" construction [a short hand description of the chemical structure of the positive and negative battery internal grids. don't ask!], and this is what modern Low Maintenance sealed car batteries use!  Another civilian fallout from the Military Industrial Complex in addition to the hand held calculator / PDA!  Integrated circuits were first developed for the military market.