L16 water pump bolt

Humboldt

I have a 72 goon with a donor motor. There is an oddball 3 1/2"  bolt holding the water pump on with a 10mm head that appears to be broken off 3" in the block.There must be a piece still in the block. I can't get the thing to thread on. How bad to just leave this bolt off or plug with a short bolt crammed in?

The water pump with the fan clutch that you can't tear apart has that same long bolt, so I am assuming that is the correct bolt. Sorry no pix. I am trying to figure out the pix protocol, which I seem to have figured out before, so maybe soon

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id say find a different donor motor. That bolt holds the water pump to the timing cover, but also helps hold the timing cover to the block right next to the water port and the oil pump port to the block. Leaks here could suck

You could pull the timing cover, drill a hole in the bolt, lube and use an 'easy out' bit. Name can be a bit misleading. If you plan to go the JB weld route, of suggest cleaning the surfaces that mates timing cover and block well and use good gasket and 'the right stuff' silicone to insure no leakage

• Like 3

So I tapped the hole to M8 1.25 with a Harbor Freight tap and die set.  Got about 3/4" inch in and met with a little resistance, so I backed off. That's how deep of a bolt I will use. I.m not going to torque any harder than Percy Dovetonsils would. I liked your suggestion Hainz . . . I am going to try this tapped hole first.

My son tells me the water pump bearing feels like a bad skate board bearing, so I will replace the water pump. Any suggestions for sourcing a decent water pump, anyone?  I'm not into filing shit off ( cuz it rubs) as described somewhere in Ratsun.

Also, and thank you for tolerating my questions . . . given the anticipated low torquage, should I use lock tite?

PS: sounds like the stock lengthy skinny bolt was prone to shearing off when removing it.