Gear oils

Hey, I've Google this and searched this a bit but I'm still a little confused, what is the easiest gear oil to come by that I can use for my Trans, transfer, and both diffs, currently I have some slightly too thick of fluid in my Trans, isn't the easiest to go 1st to 2nd when leaving my house in the morning. Have had the truck on the road for a few months now and have beat on it a little in the mud and what not so I'd like to change everything out. Thank you

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GL-4 80w90 for transmission. NEVER allow GL-5 to be used for this. Don't let some counter monkey tell you GL-5 is better.... it is but what makes it 'better' that GL-4 also erodes you brass synchros. You need GL-4 or,it must say 'Yollow metal or brass compatible' on the bottle. 80w90 is the Nissan recommended weight but you have a worn transmission and cold shifting may be slightly balky.

Synthetic oils are 'thinner' but so slippery they will often leak past old seals. I had already replaced the $4 rear transmission seal before switching to the General Motors AC Delco Synchriomesh  oil so there were no leaks but I have used a different synthetic 'blend' before an it leaked (just wetness at the back around the driveshaft) until it was changed. Runs very well, up-shifts much better when cold. I rarely used to downshift as it would grind slightly into second, and first you almost had to use both arms to push the shifter..... now it's like silk. This transmission I saved out of a '79 zx probably 20 years ago. My 620 transmission packed it in so I swapped this one in and it's been across Canada and back at least 6--7 times. Now it's been in my 710 for 4 years.

Transfer case... use the above GL-5 for it

Steering box ... GL-4

Power steering... Dexron ATF

Differential... GL-5 80w90 or a good synthetic.

• Like 2