OUCH!!! 521 fuse block options.

flatcat19

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have travelled from Portland OR to Walla Walla, but I was young, and there was a cute girl involved.

What electrical issues are you having with your 521, besides the dreaded "previous owner" issues?

Nothing crazy.

That strand of wires that runs down the passenger side...there was a fire at some point in time. Every wire, however many it is, just a messy strand of black or white wires. Each twisted together and wrapped in black tape.

My real electrical issues are my broken ass tail light housings, faulty turn signal switch, and just being a stock 45 year old truck.

Would love things to be upgraded.

Motivation and time are huge factors in me not fucking with it.

Waiting on the radiator to return then I'll just keep driving it.

OK, Start with this.

521wires.jpg

lights only.

LightWires.jpg

"That strand of wires that runs down the passenger side...there was a fire at some point in time. Every wire, however many it is, just a messy strand of black or white wires. Each twisted together and wrapped in black tape."

Yikes!  That side of the engine compartment has the lights, horn, charging system, oil pressure switch, starter wiring, and probably many other things I am missing.   What does work, or what does not work?  Looking at the wiring as a whole, it seems a daunting, impossible task.  But if you break it down into individual parts, is is much easier.  Take headlights, for example.  You get power to the headlight relay, and the low beams come on.  Ground the small wire from the headlight relay, and it switches to high beams.  Horns work the same basic way.  The horn relay has fused power on it all the time.  Ground the small wire on the horn relay, the horns honk.

"My real electrical issues are my broken ass tail light housings, faulty turn signal switch, and just being a stock 45 year old truck."

See this thread about 521 tail lights.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18092-521-taillight-rebuilding/?hl=%2Btaillight+%2Brebuilding

I had an extra pair of 521 tail ights, but they went on the Canby truck last year.  I traded my rebuilt good ones for the ones that were on that truck when Albert got it.  I also have collected a few other 521 tail lights assemblies, but I have not gone through all the tail light parts I have, to see if I can make a good working pair.   You might also try to post a parts wanted ad in the classified section.  A junkyard may be another option, a 521 showed up at a local Pick-n-Pull earlier this year in Portland.

Charlie69 has posted a company called vintage connections (I think) has connector parts that are similar to 1970 Datsun connectors.

• Like 1

Everything works.

A while back, after I first this the second time, most of the wires had bare spots plus the homemade spilce job.

I cleaned up most of the mess. Butt connectors to fresh wire, getting rid of all the damaged wires.

Like I said, it all works. It just looks horrible.

I plan on doing a motor swap later this summer.

I'll get all of that squared away then.

Denmarkboy sent me a pretty nice 521 harness.

• Like 1