210 tach wiring

pdp8

So, I snagged a NOS tach for my '79 wagon the other day.  It came and nicely fills the blank spot in the cluster but currently nothing more.

Thing is, although the factory manual is the best I've ever seen it's missing the bit on the schematics where the pinout of the tach would be defined.

I suspect the tach electronics are common to several vehicles around this time.  PCB is part # DS80

It has three pins, labelled 1, 2, and 5.  I know they are common, power, and signal but no idea which is which.

thanks,

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have that lovely manual (best manual ever, just short on tach details) but without the short wires off the back of the tach the color codes are useless.

That picture helps tremendously, now I can make the jumper wires and work from there.  
Thanks!

The main schematics show only the white wire but the page of cluster schematics show the other two wires.

Colors are not specified but simply tracing the wires and matching colors did the trick.  I now have a functioning tachometer.

Black (left): ground

White(right): signal

Green(center): gauge voltage regulator output

It is likely that given the primitive voltage regulation done on the cluster this will affect the readings on the fuel and temp gauges trivially. 

Interestingly my charge light is now lit but I suspect it's just coincidence, something else to look into.

Thanks again.