1975 620 my first build "Betty White"

spoonman

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself, and would like you to meet my first project named "Betty White".  She's a 75 Datsun 620 with the L20b, 3 spd auto, finally got her today, after a new battery, and some wiring tinkering, she runs like a champ. As you can see she is a complete project, a lil cancer in the driver floor, but going to make a new floor pan out of old license plates tacked together, pretty stock other than a push button start(lost key), modded from original owner after he saw DatsunDave's build. (thank you btw), super stoked on her, can't wait to show you my progress, as she will slowly be getting better and better. Eventually she will have either a Ka24DET, or an RB25 swap, with a (if memory serves me correct), a 280z 5 speed tranny. No turbo, kind ruins the datsuns overall image IMO. Well i'll have more pics as follows, this is the first of many, and thanks for all your incite, and any advice is greatly appreciated, and i'm sure i'll be getting to you know guys more often, and if there is anyone around the Southern Oregon area, hmu, would like to meet some more ratsun fans. Have a good one guys. 

20160416_170422_HDR1_zps8xx9y9zf.jpg

20160416_170412_HDR1_zpsug1vqwzn.jpg

20160416_154746_HDR1_zpsskpgcppe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finally got Betty home today from the seller, removed the seat(wasn't bolted down anyway), just to get an idea on how bad the cancer was, a lot better than I expected, still going to tack weld a few pieces of sheet metal in to stiffen up the rotten floor pan, took out the seatbelt hardware, and cleaned up all the leftover carpet remnants, feeling real good about this project, all in due time

.20160417_181837_HDR1_zps4jtup4z8.jpg

I think i'll get the interior done first, since she runs beautiful, I have a video of her running i'll post up if I can figure that out. But definitely going to have some issues with the "dash" if you want to call it that lol.It's pretty trashed.. :( Any tips on anything right now will help. I'm going to have my mother in law sew me up a new cover for my bench seat, since it's still in fairly good condition. I've got a long ways ahead of me, but i'm super excited!!! I'm looking forward to getting her at least worthy of a meet lol. PLEASE HELP in anyway you guys feel to pass on the great knowledge, i'm a sponge when it comes to learning, so i'm always up for it. Thanks for looking at my build, and i'll keep ya guys updated along the way. :) 

20160417_181845_HDR1_zps6qergbbj.jpg

• Like 2

So i've done a few little things since last update. Painted steering wheel, installed my tach to try and get my idle down which is sitting at 1300 RPM idling. Bolted the seat down, now I just need to recover it. Bought a cheap lil console for $3, and bolted that down. Adjusted the brakes since they went to the floor and no stopping, a scary ride to the auto parts store to say the least hahaha. Next step is carpet, and sound deadening the cab. I think I might keep the green, I found a few spots that weren't messed up, and the color really pops, so now I just have to find the right paint code, and go from there. :) Might have to rename her "Monster" since she's kind of a monster in the making haha, that, and there is already a 280z on here named "Betty White", and I don't wanna poach someone else's name..idk yet, i'll figure something out. My biggest thing is trying to fix my carb issue, it's a weber 32/36 DGV, everytime I have the choke fully off, when I give it gas, it sputters, hisses, and hesitates to go, if not dies. I have to pump the gas a couple of times in order to keep it running, so I have to drive with the choke on slightly, and I know it's killing my engine. I've tried adjusting the mixture screw and it doesn't seem to do anything, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! I really need to meet some ratsun dudes from around here, so I can get some knowledge about this little bugger, and hopefully find someone to help me with my wiring issue, cause it is completely fucked, oh yeah..anyone know why I have high beams, dash lights, and all that, but no low beams???

http://20160421_2154242_zpsoau4na4q.jpg

http://20160421_2154121_zpswusorq3d.jpg

http://20160421_2154541_zpscu2crd3i.jpg

Found an oil leak aswell, it's right behind my radiator fan...Can anyone help me figure this one out?

http://20160421_112556_HDR1_zpsfz1u6g5v.jpg

Bled the brake system, and this is what came out..

http://20160418_151936_HDR2_zpsrwhyffrw.jpg

• Like 1

be more specific on the lights. they all work only with Highs on is a better way to say it. to me it means the relay contacts are carboned up. yo have to open the can up and lean the contaks. if this is the only proplem.

the weber have you cleaned the idle jet? shoot carb cleaner down it and rev the shit out of it.

Have you checks the timming of this motor?

what the speed screw doing? Is it on the speed screw lever . How many turns you think?

whats the mixture adjustment? How many turns off bottom?

as for the oil try pressure was it first then run it. They all leak after awhile.  Alot from the front head gasket and soem from the distributor O ring missing or worn out. soem from front seal

• Like 1

"be more specific on the lights. they all work only with Highs on is a better way to say it. to me it means the relay contacts are carboned up. yo have to open the can up and lean the contaks. if this is the only proplem."

They only work with the high beams on, and the light switch pulled fully out, if the switch is in the first position, nothing works, but I have all dash lights, and high beams with the light switch fully pulled out.

"the weber have you cleaned the idle jet? shoot carb cleaner down it and rev the shit out of it." OK, I'll do that today.

"Have you checks the timming of this motor?" No, I don't know how to check the timing.

"what the speed screw doing?" After I throttle it, it sits away from the lever, unless I pull it back to it, almost like it's getting snagged in the cable.

"Is it on the speed screw lever." Only after I pull the slack out of it, or tighten the speed screw, will it sit on the screw lever, otherwise it's not near it.

How many turns you think? Not sure on the speed screw, but "whats the mixture adjustment?

How many turns off bottom?" Ive bottomed out the mixture screw, and backed it out 2 full turns, and it does the issues I've mentioned before, the sputtering, hissing, and almost dying. The engine sounds "smooth" at almost 4 full turns of the mixture screw.

"as for the oil try pressure was it first then run it. They all leak after awhile. Alot from the front head gasket and soem from the distributor O ring missing or worn out. soem from front seal." I have no way of telling anything regarding, oil pressure, temp, my entire right guage where the temp, oil, charge light, all that doesn't work, i know I'm a pain in the ass, just don't want to screw myself, or this truck up, thanks guys.

first position on the light switch is parking lights. do what hainz said to do with the relay contacts, should be towards the passenger side headlights. check and see if your parking lights are working. turn signals and brake lights should light up low as well as the fender lights.

i've been chasing the headlights wire gremlin for a little while myself so i learned something in all that

• Like 2

If 1st position you don't have the instrument lights and the parking lights I would check the fuses. and may clean the fuse contact area and replace the fuses anyways as the can break inside on the ends where you cant see it.

sometimes reaseating the connectors or realy might fix it also.

if nothing was cut from a previous owner and no butt slices on the wires anywhere then 99% is just a corrosion issue.

let us know

the speed screw should be off the carb lever. if you turn it in up to 1.5 turns should be ok also.

the mixure screw with the tension spring on it should be about 2 turns also But seen them more.  one just has to adjust it all to get the right rpm out you want.  On the side of a DGV is the idle jet Brass screw. you take the jet out and clean it. If it get rust and disrt in there this will cause it to not idle then people most likely fuck with the mixture and increase the speed screw to run on the main jet. The sign of this is the Speed screw is crank in a lot.

I usualkly cut open the fuel fitlter to get me a indication of a dirty gas tank and the idle jet is the most liley to get plugged.  Main jet can get plugged also.

hope this helps.  you tube might have vids on weber carb adjustments

since this is a Automatic might have to redo the timming even better.

also ck the valve lash.

I think Olddatsuns.com has the specs on L20b auto timming how its done. go to do it in gear I think.

Datzenmike would be better to ask or Datsunaholic

My lights were acting dumb wen I first got my truck.. turns out the dude that had the truck before me put wutever fuse he wanted in the fuse box.. so went to auto zone got all the correct fuses..slapped them on and viola..all my side markers n the rest of the lights worked except one..but I'm pretty sure it's just the bulb..before hand only my headlights worked (high beams).. I suggest you change all ur fuses and put the correct ones where they go.. if u haven't already..

No I haven't really messed with the truck too much as of late, been starting a new job, and getting my GED, haven't had the time, I did however happen to fix my stuck throttle cable, with some silicone lube down the cable, and a return spring on my carb that it was lacking. My father in law is gonna fab me some new brackets for my hood, and whatever else is retires NASA engineer mind can come up with!! Pretty stoked., I sprayed my hood with flat white after wire wheeling the surface rust on my hood, pretty sure she'll be flat white when I roll up to Rats with Dats, took her for a cruise today, longest one to date, just to Applegate lake area and back, probably around 40 miles, didn't go over 50 and revving at 3000, I hate this 3 SPD crap, but she drove well. Gonna change her oil, and new fuses and bulbs all the way around before Rats with Dats. Still have to run her with the choke on a little bit, since she's hissing and pulling way too much air cause of the de smog hoses that have been removed. I'll take some pics this weekend of her, and you what I've done.

I plan on changing all fluids, and new bulbs all the way around when i get paid. Well, I spent the day with her, decided to wire wheel all the rust off, except for the roof...my hands got sore, so i called it quits on that...but i decided to reindex my torsion bars today, she is sitting loooowwww. I've already had to tighten her up a bit, since I was rubbing on the left wheel, but so far so good. Might have to raise her back up a bit, but she's sitting nice on those 15's. Gave her a wash, and a rinse, i'm really stoked on how she is starting to look now. Still need to work on the interior, but I've decided to sticker bomb all my accessories, like my window cranks, heater box, just anything little, gloss black base, then sticker bomb, then clear. I am going to galaxy paint my roof here in the next day or two, if anyone has a hook on a turn signal amber plastic piece, please let me know..but here are the pics to prove she's looking goooood!!!

http://20160501_1758051_zpsbeetgamj.jpg

Plasti-dipped my bumper, and pounded my valance somewhat flatter, and straighter, and plasti-dipped that.

http://20160501_1758161_zpsvr6o5ogn.jpg

Had to roll the fenders a tad bit, still got a long ways to go, before they look the way I want.

http://20160501_1758292_zps4agojbsy.jpg

She's starting to take shop into what I want..next step is finish painting, and galaxy paint the roof.

http://20160501_1757531_zpsudrc9a6n.jpg

She's got a little bit of camber....

http://20160501_1857452_zpskmerilma.jpg

• Like 2

Well been kinda busy with work, but managed to get a few things done. Got laced up with a fresh grill thanks to Arche, so i plasti-dipped it black, and i must say she looks mean!!!! I threw on some Ratsun stencils on my hood just to show my support at the meets!!! I put on a new radiator overflow hose, lubes my throttle, and choke cables, cleaned my carb out the best I could. Next step is change ALL fluids, new bushings, and redo the door panels.  When I accelerate kind of quickly, it feels like my back end kicks out a bit, i'm sure it's just my bushings not working cause they are pretty much all rotted, and non existent. But so far she's coming along nicely, just need to save some cash to get the rest of her all tip top. Any suggestions on a bushing kit, to take care of the entire truck?   

[/url]">http://20160506_1215121_zps2nnpsvlw.jpg

Put down new sheet metal in my floor plans to get rid of the cancer, and rubber coated them for the time being til I can get peal and seal, padding, and carpet. Also added some floor mats just to make it a little less of a project.

[/url]">http://20160505_1631431_zpsmiedn9ir.jpg

Redid my seat (sort of), with the Lion of Judah tapestry I had laying around, it's not permanent, just adding a little flavor to make it feel a little more complete.

[/url]">http://20160505_1631582_zpsurtihj4m.jpg

• Like 2