FS5W71B Swap - clutch slipping at higher RPM

I did a swap from the four speed, to an FS5W71B. I kept the original clutch and pressure plate, bought a new throw out bearing and clutch fork for the new FS 5W71B. It had an L engine housing already and bolted straight on.

I can reverse and get into first gear, but when I going to higher gears at higher rpm's the clutch slips. I have tried to adjust the clutch adjustment bolt thinking I needed more pressure on the clutch to the pressure plate, maybe I haven't found the sweet spot?

Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have used the same collar as the 4speed since not all clutch plates are the same height/depth,,, or measured to see if the collars were the same / different.

Is there any adjustment on the slave cylinder rod ?

BUT is it slipping when you are in 5th and loading it down,, such as going up a grade??  It might just be you need a new clutch and the 4speed didn't show it as much as 5speed will.. I would pull tranny out and compare collars first and go from there.

• Like 2

ONE

I did a swap from the four speed, to an FS5W71B. I kept the original clutch and pressure plate, bought a new throw out bearing and clutch fork for the new FS 5W71B. It had an L engine housing already and bolted straight on.

I can reverse and get into first gear, but when I going to higher gears at higher rpm's the clutch slips. I have tried to adjust the clutch adjustment bolt thinking I needed more pressure on the clutch to the pressure plate, maybe I haven't found the sweet spot?

Any advice appreciated.

If you have a new FS5W71B clutch arm, it does not have the hole in it for the adjustable slave push rod. If you are able to adjust it then something here is not adding up. You need an FS5W71B slave pushrod or the 4 speed clutch arm with the adjustable rod. Mixing these two may be the problem. Your clutch slave pushrod may be too long.

TWO

Having said this. Your clutch arm should have a small amount of play or looseness between it and the pushrod. It should not be tight.

Figure this out before going to 

THREE
Take 5 speed transmission out.
Take new release bearing off the 5 speed collar. (tag the collar as not L16 and put in sock drawer)
Put new release bearing on your old 4 speed collar.
Install new bearing /old collar on 5 speed clutch arm
Install transmission.
Enjoy driving around.

You 4 speed collar is matched to your clutch. It's a 200mm.

The new 5 speed collar could be matched to who knows what??? clutch.

Keep your 4 speed collar with your clutch. They were made for each other.

Release bearings are all the same part.

• Like 1

I mean the thing that the bearing sits pin and the fork clips to. Is that from the 4 speed or the 5 speed?

This part.

4tobear_specs1a.jpg

Lockleaf I know this is just a visual example for showing what you are talking about.  However the collars are NOT, in any corner of our 11 dimension universe, related to the transmission. The collar is intimately related / married / wedded / matched to the clutch pressure plate. So anyone looking at this ignore the transmission labels and just know there are different sizes.

If you had a Type B 4 speed and put a later Type B 5 speed in, according to this chart you would have to swap the collar, and you do not. You would keep the original collar and just change the transmission.

• Like 1

ONE

If you have a new FS5W71B clutch arm, it does not have the hole in it for the adjustable slave push rod. If you are able to adjust it then something here is not adding up. You need an FS5W71B slave pushrod or the 4 speed clutch arm with the adjustable rod. Mixing these two may be the problem. Your clutch slave pushrod may be too long.

Question for you Mike, I was a bit baffled by this and it turned out one of my team members modified the clutch fork by drilling a hole in it to accommodate the slave push rod.  Do you foresee any issues with this?  

Here are the before and after - installed the right t/o assembly.  The bearings do look a little different, but i am guessing that is normal per Mike's earlier comment about them being the same and the T/O collars are different.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxFXomNCkdI-ekhSTXFYX0FYRVE

Here are some pics of the car, we do endurance racing with her mostly 24 Hrs of Lemons.  We are racing at Millville, NJ NJMP on May 14-15th if you are in the area!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxFXomNCkdI-aDRvZWJ3dUU4VVE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxFXomNCkdI-RlU5TkRCYzZKT1E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxFXomNCkdI-RjQyZW5PeUJuSXM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxFXomNCkdI-bUk1ZEVmT01CWEk