Project "hole in my head" 1974 CB360

Picked this up today because it was too cheap not to buy. Mostly complete, but needs mostly everything...    :rofl:

As it came to me, carbs and side covers missing, and a few too many "extras"...

20160416_113105.jpg

Jimmied the lock on the big purple box (came with no keys)...

20160416_113044.jpg

And inside were the side covers, air cleaners, and carbs...    ^_^

20160416_113051.jpg

Seat pan is rusted so I tossed that, then removed the big purple box and all it's brackets...

20160416_114157.jpg

Then got rid of the stupid "highway" bars on the front...

20160416_123811.jpg

It kicks over easy and makes very good compression, so I don't think it'll need a rebuild to run. We shall see...

I was originally thinking I'd just slap it together and make it run for a fun toy, but after a bit of a snafu I'm thinking going a little bigger with my plans. While sitting on it I noticed the handlebars are a bit wobbly. After further investigation, there are a few cracks in the top of the triple tree. So I may "fix" that by just getting a new front end from a later model sport bike to get some bigger brakes and better handle bars and shocks. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I have a 72 cb350 I pretend to work on. Haven't done much in the past year though. Cafe/brat type thing.

Just started reassembly on an xs1100 yesterday, going the same basic direction as you. Simple, clean, stripped down. Got it to here.

20160415_183307_zpsupwwzapd.jpg

I love classic Japanese bikes.

• Like 1

I need a set of those Lester wheels...    :thumbup:

I had them on my '77 GL1000 and loved them. Beats the spokes any day...

Nice! I have a 72 cb350 I pretend to work on. Haven't done much in the past year though. Cafe/brat type thing.

Just started reassembly on an xs1100 yesterday, going the same basic direction as you. Simple, clean, stripped down. Got it to here.

20160415_183307_zpsupwwzapd.jpg

I love classic Japanese bikes.

If you actually want a set of Lesters, the friend with whom i rebuild bikes has a set of GL1000 Lesters just sitting until he bothers selling them. I would gladly speak to him about them for you.

If you actually want a set of Lesters, the friend with whom i rebuild bikes has a set of GL1000 Lesters just sitting until he bothers selling them. I would gladly speak to him about them for you.

If you are reasonably sure they'll fit, I would be interested.  :thumbup:

It would most likely mean converting to a hydro brake on the rear, but that shouldn't be too tough? Got any GL1000 front shocks or triple tree?   ^_^

IMAG0047.jpg

The diff hub is on the left, which is the open side of the wheel. I suppose one could use those 6 bolts as mounting point for a filler plate, then mount your sprocket to that plate.

Axle diameters are likely much smaller on your bike than the Lesters, but you mentioned modern front end, so you could just choose one that happens to have the correct axle diameter.

But all in all, I think you would need to be pretty dedicated to the idea, but it could be done with skills I've seen in your shop. Probably be a first. :)

• Like 1

But all in all, I think you would need to be pretty dedicated to the idea, but it could be done with skills I've seen in your shop. Probably be a first. :)

Assuming they aren't going to walk off in the immediate future, let me look around a bit and see what I can find first. A front wheel (and front end) from a modern sport bike that could also offer up it's rear wheel would be better, since chain drive is commonplace there.

Lester did make a chain drive /drum brake version for the Suzuki gt750, if you wanted to hunt down one of those. But these are rare I think.

mark_dobson_lester_mags_2.jpg

Also, xs650s had a chain drive/disc brake option that looks like a Lester, but is just a stock Yamaha mag. These are pretty common. Most xs guys prefer spokes.

xs650.jpg

The rims on my xs11 are the matching set of factory yamaha rims, not real Lesters

• Like 1

These are pretty common. Most xs guys prefer spokes.

I do like these spokes also. May just get them powdercoated if I can find a tire I like that will fit the narrower spoke wheels. 

One of my main goals was modern sport bike tires. not the vintage "square" tires, so...

Also started thinking about paint schemes and I think something like this will be what we do...

562c0cf50aaf650d139e3d657a7f283b.jpg

The Lesters (or Yamaha wheels) would lend themselves well to this scheme, but black powdercoated spoke wheels would be cool too...

Did a little more dismantling today. Started on pulling the harness and cables out. Decided to just yank everything and start over with a new stripped down wiring harness...

On Tim's urging, we decided to do a compression test to assess the health of the engine before spending any actual money on it...

Left cylinder did 100psi, right cylinder did 105psi, but the book says it should do at least 140psi. So may need to pull the head off at some point to check and see how it looks inside. May wait until I run it for a bit and see if compression comes up any. It has sat for almost 20 years, so...   

Mileage on the bike is fairly low, so I think it may be okay. These engines will typically do at least 20k miles before needing a rebuild...

20160423_08594728029~0.jpg

Just as info, since I don't know how much you do on bikes.

Sirius conslidated inc, good prices, most everything you might need to rebuild that bike. I like to buy from them.

All balls racing - caged bearing replacement steering neck bearings. They also have an amazing interchange list, so if you want to put on a modern front end on that beast they likely have a bearing to make it happen.

• Like 1

Just as info, since I don't know how much you do on bikes.

Farted around with the two bikes mentioned above, and Tim's CL250 thumper. That's about it.   :rofl:

Sirius conslidated inc, good prices, most everything you might need to rebuild that bike. I like to buy from them.

All balls racing - caged bearing replacement steering neck bearings. They also have an amazing interchange list, so if you want to put on a modern front end on that beast they likely have a bearing to make it happen.

Thanks!  :thumbup:

And based on how far I'm taking this, I think I probably will do a modern front end, more modern wheels, and probably get some disc brakes for the rear.

The rear passenger pegs were mounted on nice little hoops welded to the frame that will be perfect for mounting rear set pedals as well...   B)