Noob Turbo L-16 from Hell

Dunno if you had your hands on the awesome book called maximum boost yet,

Incase you don't have money: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x9cu2659042w750/Maximum+Boost+-+Corky+Bell.pdf

really awesome book, has helped me a big time to determine all the stuff for my turbo project  :thumbup:  All the best for your project, I started mine when I was 16 :rofl:

Also few quotes from the book:

''Water injection is best used when boost levels over 6 psi are desired but no intercooler is present. Do not allow a situation to exist where the water injetor is used as an excuse for improper air/fuel rations.'' 
- Chapter 5, page 74

''Typically, a correct air/fuel ratio will create about a 45F temperature drop when the fuel vaporizes in the carburetor. This temperature drop, combined with a cool, damp day, will frequently cause throttles to freeze wide open when operating under boost. A fine circumstance, cured only by adding yet more intake heat''

- Chapter 8, page 103

not saying how to do things, just throwing things to think about 

• Like 2
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh... Yeah that's what I am planning then. Anyone have a thick header flange plate for sale?

make one out of steel plate and a gasket.  use a plasma to cut it out, (if you have access to one) or have a machine shop water jet it.

good luck.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I like learning the hard way haha I've noticed that makes you 100% aware of the consequences mistakes can bring you. Until you realize and fully understand consequences, you abuse the luck you're granted when you keep playing with fire.

Anyways... Just got my college life together as a freshman and got a job again. Bought some weld els online and have some short 90s my dad had. Got a thick flange from McShagger510 woop woop shout out to him. So I joined welding club at school, and they offer any type of welding which is awesome and you can create your own stuff.

My plan is to tack it up at home following a jig for placement and I'll be MIG ing it up at school. I will ask the professor what MIG I can weld it up with and if not I'll stick weld it. But I'm ready for this and excited to do it the right way.

image_zpstylumw59.jpeg

image_zpsl5k1tcy7.jpeg

Want a similar shape to the first one I scrambled up, simple design

• Like 1

Sometimes this isn't possible and better to get a professional but like mechanical work... you have to work 5 hours at your pay to pay a shop mechanic for one hour of his time to rebuild your carb. This is counter productive. Hell he's has probably never had an Hitachi apart, soyou know about as much as he does, more actually as you removed it. You are paying him to learn.

• Like 1

BTW, using my Dad's two door cause there's finally space around it, the manifolds are off, and I need my car to drive everyday.

I used a drilled plate with t3 and t28/25 pattern so I can test fit the turbo on my car. PS. RELOCATING COIL AND RESISTOR, removing the windshield resivoir.

Pictures of my jig tomorrow my friends, and my T3 turbo is one day shipped by tomorrow for a test for on my car also.

Soooo I'm too excited about doing a top mount for an L-series. No matter what I am making this manifold and it's gonna be awesome. There's a few reasons behind my reason for doing top mount.

-1 it looks so cool

-2 no one has done it, so far as posted online

Does having the turbo right beside the intake count as "top mount"?

MVC-022S.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here it is yee-haw. I have like 12 man hours put into just cutting, grinding, and tacking it up. It's simple but super tedious

Made first Cylinder piping about 5 inches shorter than the rest of the header. Subaru Rumble sound from uneven header.

77A7C9B3-62FA-41F8-A29C-0031C7F5BC3F_zps

Looked close enough

1FF82B72-13CE-463C-BCFA-4D551C0486DE_zps

Holding the compressor on its own weight for the first time how cool

F6D8DCA8-48E7-4E0B-9DCB-D9F76D4ED5F2_zps

Imagine this hoodless...and cleaned up...big boy popping out

8676575B-883C-4772-B4EB-460E90DEC5D7_zps

The Miller at schools welds so smoothly

76678D1F-A986-4C63-80DA-42EBDBF82497_zps

Did piece by piece keep in mind folks

59543DAE-0E44-4911-B7A7-64D1C11F52DB_zps

B2455C36-74E7-4C6F-84AA-7A0868889E17_zps

When doing a mani from simply scratch, industrial magnets r yur frends

441FD2A3-A0C4-4224-ADCA-9A76F5761BEA_zps

Halfway done

19C40879-5D7B-42D8-9E73-6EB2E47653CF_zps

Porting on the sharp turns will be done after most of it is welded up (: cut again and dremel the welds to a round shape...

73C47817-EBBE-4F93-B601-2DA671134D0E_zps

Took me two tries to get the right angles

25° on one side and 13° the other side and after a bit of grinding down I got the perfect size.

507E8E93-04EA-4A05-9389-E2F5C17BD850_zps

Dummy me the whole 3 pieces were so flushed fitted I was able to squeeze them together and held in by themselves. I was so excited I even showed my brother..but didn't even take a picture /:

5B1E733E-8012-4850-B1D0-23AC3FE225F4_zps

How my baby sits

839BA21A-1FA1-45AE-A8BE-EFEE632A8006_zps

OK MY TACS r ugly in some places, before I got the auto dark mask and plus the trigger on my dads MIGger is kinked so it arcs when the feed hesitates inconsistently, melting the metal out of the tip, just dripping out. Or it just splatters out ugly sometimes.

839BA21A-1FA1-45AE-A8BE-EFEE632A8006_zps

One last one to go, maybe tomorrow or Wednesday but I am soo busy this week, and got damn homework

CB3A8D82-4167-4EF3-93EA-59EF532DF87D_zps

Mocked up on spare thingy

C41D88BA-E9C4-4125-AC78-1B3FA33A832B_zps

Plan to stick weld the big gaps at the runners, and want to MIG the rest of it. Let me know what you guys would do.

• Like 1