Noob Turbo L-16 from Hell

Lose your '75-'77 intake and get an earlier L16/18 or a later '78-'80 L20B one.

I do have one on my L-16, it has two holes on each side of the intake running coolant through it. The picture of the manifold on the hot pink car up above is my Dad's. Just using his to position my setup

• Like 1
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need to have a place for the water to go. Usually it Tees into the by-pass pipe coming out of the thermostat housing and going down over the front of the engine to the lower rad hose entry into the water pump. AND you need to drill two 3/8" holes in the head. I just recently did this with my '76 engine. I now have L16 cast iron header and '79 620 truck intake.

Just to be honest, this is just my useless opinion, but I would have just saved up money and bought a cartech or rayjay turbo kit and worked on that. Would have been "nostalgic" and still turbo fun. But thats my opinion, goodluck on engineering your turbo system 

• Like 1

Sell me your intake manifold after this whole project fails........

By the way, some benificial info, in case you actually make a turbo manifold that doesn't fall apart.

HKS used to make a black box called an EGC, which stood for Electronic Governer Control.

The name really didn't fit what it did.

It was an ignition timing retard that had a pressure sensor, and would retard timing as boost came up.

The dash mount black box had knobs to set rate of retard.

You then just timed the engine to factory spec.s, and let the EGC control timing durring boost.

• Like 1

I applaud the effort to learn this stuff, regardless of the life expectancy. I personally can't say I've built an exhaust manifold or turbo manifold, so I think it's great.

That being said, no reason to ignore some simple fantastic. Add the brace.

• Like 2

I fixed it for you bro.

End Badly? the worst can go wrong is my headgasket blowing out, my pistons frying, or my rings wearing out. Big deal, I'll just swap another L-motor in there that I already have. If it does go out in a short enough time, big deal I'll build one, or heck even sell it

I don't know what point you have on my thread just giving me bad feedback. As I stated already, I'm doing this for fun not to run 20 PSI on my L-16. You just trying to troll...you have that much time ? Fuck off

Just to be honest, this is just my useless opinion, but I would have just saved up money and bought a cartech or rayjay turbo kit and worked on that. Would have been "nostalgic" and still turbo fun. But thats my opinion, goodluck on engineering your turbo system 

Well a big interest in boosting my L-16 was to do it myself to go through this experience and build it out creativity, and second to do it cheap :thumbup:

Yes just my mock up stage, the flange has my ugly ass welds on it, but going to clean it up, and seal it today hopefully.

• Like 3

Pull your head out of your ass kid, it's dark in there and it stinks. The worst that could happen with your abortion of a setup is burning your car to the fucking ground, not just a head gasket. Try not being a little punk and look at advice from people with much more life and car experience than yourself. All of us telling you to be careful and warning about your pos mild steel header aren't just being assholes, there's been many people given you legit advice and you have an excuse for it all. Frankly, It's alarming that your parents aren't putting a stop to this. Note I never said I hope it will end badly but I firmly believe it will. I hope head gasket or detonation is the worst that will happen. Do yourself a favor and take one piece of legit advice: get a large fire extinguisher...just in case. Final thought, this is ratsun and no one is going to wear kid gloves especially when it's a matter of safety. Good luck.

I don't see what all the hate is about. It looks better than the first turbo manifold I ever made. It's not going to last too long before it comes apart (it's going to crack where it meets the head flange on the ends by cyl 1 and 4) but it will get you through the testing phase.

Other than the fact that it looks like you welded it with 2 car batteries and a coat hanger, I don't see it being inherently dangerous if you take the normal safety precautions like heat shielding your fuel and brake lines and carrying a D.O.T. fire extenguisher rated for gasoline fires. I don't think you would be taking so much shit if your welds looked better.

You DO need to brace that turbo to the block or at least run a chain from the turbo to the block so it doesn't hit the frame when it inevitably breaks off. Maybe you should run without a hood so you can see it happen.

• Like 2

End Badly? the worst can go wrong is my headgasket blowing out, my pistons frying, or my rings wearing out. Big deal, I'll just swap another L-motor in there that I already have. If it does go out in a short enough time, big deal I'll build one, or heck even sell it

I don't know what point you have on my thread just giving me bad feedback. As I stated already, I'm doing this for fun not to run 20 PSI on my L-16. You just trying to troll...you have that much time ? Fuck off

Well a big interest in boosting my L-16 was to do it myself to go through this experience and build it out creativity, and second to do it cheap :thumbup:

Yes just my mock up stage, the flange has my ugly ass welds on it, but going to clean it up, and seal it today hopefully.

Clearly you haven't seen enough turbo fails to realize that your car can end up consumed by a raging fire storm and you being severly burned or worse....dead....we're looking out for you kid...

• Like 2

Not in your pictures. The U67 head has to be drilled. Where does the water come out on that Offy intake?

From what I can tell he is using a different car with a different head for mock up. Better than putting his daily down until he is ready to install, I suppose

I don't see what all the hate is about. It looks better than the first turbo manifold I ever made. It's not going to last too long before it comes apart (it's going to crack where it meets the head flange on the ends by cyl 1 and 4) but it will get you through the testing phase.

Other than the fact that it looks like you welded it with 2 car batteries and a coat hanger, I don't see it being inherently dangerous if you take the normal safety precautions like heat shielding your fuel and brake lines and carrying a D.O.T. fire extenguisher rated for gasoline fires. I don't think you would be taking so much shit if your welds looked better.

You DO need to brace that turbo to the block or at least run a chain from the turbo to the block so it doesn't hit the frame when it inevitably breaks off. Maybe you should run without a hood so you can see it happen.

4door

This. Fire extenguisher and brace the turbo. And you probably will want to build stronger headers at some point.

Other than that, it's more than ever did with my car at that point in my life. So good on ya.

• Like 1