What lower control arms will bolt on to a 620?

smokehouse_83

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '78/'79 LCAs are the same. The '80-'82 from the 720 are different numbers but look the same and may work. MAY work.

Otherwise no car or truck LCAs before '78 will fit. The truck uses torsion bar suspension and not struts. Apples and oranges.

Why would you want to exchange the LCAs anyway?

• Like 1

620 control arms are all that will 'bolt' in

The trucks are a totally different design than the cars.

280 style

DSC_0772_zps9a9840e9.jpg

620 style

moog-moog-rk641923-large-1.jpg

The closest would be 521 control arms, but they have a different torsion bar connection. There is probably differences in the sway bar attachment and other features as well. 

• Like 1

I have a 79 so its ball joint.  I was thinking if the 280z control arms would bolt up I could have better brake and rim options as well as be able to use a rack.  I could fab up some strut mounts and get rid of the upper control arms.  The torsions are already gone and I am looking for options for front suspension.  

• Like 1

The 620 has a frame and all the suspension is bolted to it including the body on rubber mounts. A strut would not be supported properly at the top by the body sheet metal and a good bump would pull the body off the frame.

If you want a brake up grade go to the search function upper right and type in " late 720 or D-21 Hardbody spindle swap into 620".

Torsion bars are gone? gone where? Why would you remove them? without researching this first? Would you jump from a plane and then look for a parachute?

• Like 1

I have a 79 so its ball joint.  I was thinking if the 280z control arms would bolt up I could have better brake and rim options as well as be able to use a rack.  I could fab up some strut mounts and get rid of the upper control arms.  The torsions are already gone and I am looking for options for front suspension.  

If you can fab the strut mounts, it shouldn't matter what lower control arm fits, because you should be able to fab new mounts for any control arm - that's far easier than fabbricating strut mounts. 

• Like 1

It's easier to leave them alone and add brakes. The late 720/Hardbody spindle bolts onto the 620 disc brake truck. It has a huge caliper and vented rotor. The VG30 powered 4x4 Hardbody brakes are even bigger.

• Like 1

Rim choices for drag racing, pretty limited when it comes to large spaced wheels studs.  I have thought about fabricating A arms and using mustang knuckles and struts since I have a mustang sitting here that I took the engine out of for the truck, gives you alot of option for drag oriented shocks and wheels.  I think i want to leave it as close to bolt on as possible for class racing though.   So maybe just modifiy the stock upper control arms so a coilover will fit through them, seems tight though.  

• Like 1

Its getting a small block Ford and a 70mm turbo, should be around 500-600hp.  I was gonna stick a vh45 that I have into it, but it looks like a bad fit for the truck.  So the VH is going in my 280z in the fall and the 5.0 is going into the 620 now.  Gonna build a little drag truck with some 8.5/235 tires.  Thinkin about GSXR carbs for the vh45.  The L motor out of the truck came out and went into my baja bug.

• Like 1

You're going to need to do a lot more work to the truck to hold that kind of power and I think brakes are pretty far off at this point. Hope you have deep pockets. Curious about how you put the L engine into your bug also, do you have pics of that? Sounds interesting.

• Like 1

I used a Kennedy adapter to mount the L16 up to the bus trans in my bug.  I thought the L16 with a ported L20 head/ cam/ header would make more power though.  Thing is gutless, but I had an adapter welded to the intake and have a motorcraft 2150 carb on it so I will probably throw a turbo on it at some point since the carbs are great for blowthrough.  If you PM me your phone number I will text ya some pics.

With the truck I am trying to get the front end/brakes figured out to hold the power.  Rear is gonna be a disc braked Explorer 8.8/caltracks though so I think with either 720 or 300zx calipers it should be ok.  My real issue is I need coilovers in the front that are atleast single adjustable.  I could buy the Beebani uppers and coilover kit and do that style coilovers, but them bitches are 400 buck$$$.  What if I stuck the coilover on the upper a arm like a early mustang?  I probably should do a s10 or ranger, but I have a 620 and I think they are the best lookin mini truck out there and it will be very unique.

• Like 1

Why not just graft a front frame or sub frame from another car?  The only problem is the truck is really narrow so finding something with a wheel width that narrow is tough.  If you have deep enough pockets one of the drag race shops can fab one up where the coils mount to part of the frame. 

• Like 1

Wow. I tried to drop the 5.0 in there and it ain't fitting without cutting out the firewall and I don't want to do that. Changed up plans and ordered a Laine kit to put the 5.0/t5 in my 280z. Gonna sell the vh45 and probably put a stroker 2.3 ford in the 620 when I'm done with the 280.