Anyone run a 3.54 VLSD with a 620 5 speed?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a deall in the diff and I'd like some info? I would be using the Subaru CV's w/ adapters. I'm running an L20 with Su's

Lower than I would like but it will work. Sluggish around town and the highway compared to a 3.70 or 3.90.

If the 620 5 speed was from a '79 it would be a wide ratio with a lower first gear which would offset the 5.545 differential for the first 3 gears some. If from a '77-'78 then pretty much the same as the 510 4 speed.

See if you can find a 510 sedan differential with 3.70 and have the gears swapped. I wouldn't say no to a 3.889 set either.  

I got a deall in the diff and I'd like some info? I would be using the Subaru CV's w/ adapters. I'm running an L20 with Su's

How's the Mini? Do you have a thread anywhere for it? (A mini forum perhaps?)

How's the Mini? Do you have a thread anywhere for it? (A mini forum perhaps?)

The Mini is moving right along. All the metal fab work is done and the back half of the body is in primer. No build thread but i post pics regularly on Facebook

Lower than I would like but it will work. Sluggish around town and the highway compared to a 3.70 or 3.90.

If the 620 5 speed was from a '79 it would be a wide ratio with a lower first gear which would offset the 5.545 differential for the first 3 gears some. If from a '77-'78 then pretty much the same as the 510 4 speed.

See if you can find a 510 sedan differential with 3.70 and have the gears swapped. I wouldn't say no to a 3.889 set either.

What's the easiest way to tell the 620 gearboxes apart?

Can't tell from the outside by looking. If they are out of vehicle, place in first gear, mark the inlet and outlet spline. Have an assistant turn the input spline 20 times while you count the output spline. 

Output turns...

5.5....... Wide Ratio '79 620

6.0....... Mid Ratio '77-'78 620 and 280z, '79 280zx, 810 and Maxima

6.5....... Close Ratio '80-'83 non turbo 280zx

Some transmissions will have a top gear and/or neutral switch or neither along with the reverse light switch.