Mufflers

Crazykidd9

Im trying to look for a muffler that has a good sound and will actually be noticable when you step on the gas but I dont know what to choose. I had a Borla Pro XS but besides making it a little faster and through the break-in, it was still too quiet. Im considering a flowmaster super 10 or just something cheaper like a glasspack... Any suggestions?

It also currently has a muffler delete with stock cats...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im trying to look for a muffler that has a good sound and will actually be noticable when you step on the gas but I dont know what to choose. I had a Borla Pro XS but besides making it a little faster and through the break-in, it was still too quiet. Im considering a flowmaster super 10 or just something cheaper like a glasspack... Any suggestions?

It also currently has a muffler delete with stock cats...

Exhaust sound it way too personal to select a 'muffler' based on someone else's suggestion. I like a low frequency rumble that sounds like something exciting is being held back. I don't care what it sounds like to those on the outside. Inside, the car it must be 'quiet' enough to enjoy the sound system, but also pleasant and comfortable to drive with the window down and for long distances. Loud exhaust over long time tends to be unpleasant, tiring.  

Glasspacks sound like shit. Too much snap and pop. Glasspacks are ok when used as a resonator with something else like a turbo muffler. They are low restriction and are packed with sound absorbing material. If more noise is what you want just run the cat and straight pipe. Haven't heard anything good about flowmasters when used on anything but a V8. Again it's all subjective. Everyone like what they like.

Exhaust sound it way too personal to select a 'muffler' based on someone else's suggestion. I like a low frequency rumble that sounds like something exciting is being held back. I don't care what it sounds like to those on the outside. Inside, the car it must be 'quiet' enough to enjoy the sound system, but also pleasant and comfortable to drive with the window down and for long distances. Loud exhaust over long time tends to be unpleasant, tiring.

Glasspacks sound like shit. Too much snap and pop. Glasspacks are ok when used as a resonator with something else like a turbo muffler. They are low restriction and are packed with sound absorbing material. If more noise is what you want just run the cat and straight pipe. Haven't heard anything good about flowmasters when used on anything but a V8. Again it's all subjective. Everyone like what they like.

Thanks Datzenmike. I meant to say if there are any mufflers that will acutally produce some sound because ive already gotten a Borla before and it was as quiet as stock... Really quiet... But thanks for the info.

Hell maybe you have a hearing problem??? :lol: Just run the cat and straight pipe.

A really good, well engineered 'muffler' will have no noticeable restriction and muffle the noise of the exhaust. Maybe you got what you paid for? If it's more db you want, spend less and get something cheaper.

• Like 1

Have you gotten a bigger diameter pipe? Run 2.25-2.5 inch from the manifold back with something like a glasspack and you'll make some noise. Most mufflers will make these things sound stock as their point is to muffle the sound, but I'm sure it'll sound better than stock with a bigger pipe and a smaller muffler.

Just FYI,flowmaster sound ridiculous on 4 bangers. My buddy had one on his taco and it made a hybrid vibration/ricer sound like marbles in a fart can. Wife had one on on her vg hard body and it was OK but Mike is right, they are best on a v8. I run a long assed cherry bomb as a resonator to an open supertrapp, sounds good inside and outside the car. Pretty damn loud though.

Have you gotten a bigger diameter pipe? Run 2.25-2.5 inch from the manifold back with something like a glasspack and you'll make some noise. Most mufflers will make these things sound stock as their point is to muffle the sound, but I'm sure it'll sound better than stock with a bigger pipe and a smaller muffler.

I might try that, right now I have 2 inch piping.

Just FYI,flowmaster sound ridiculous on 4 bangers. My buddy had one on his taco and it made a hybrid vibration/ricer sound like marbles in a fart can. Wife had one on on her vg hard body and it was OK but Mike is right, they are best on a v8. I run a long assed cherry bomb as a resonator to an open supertrapp, sounds good inside and outside the car. Pretty damn loud though.

This is exactly what I wanted to know if it was worth it with flowmaster. Thanks!

I just installed a 2 inch Jones glasspack welded direct to a Thrush welded muffler. It is a bit loud buy sounds good. It sounded like shit without the glasspack acting as a resonator. Now it is just deep, but no rasp or pops and crackles and no ricey sound. Make sure the tailpipe clears the truck bed or it acts like a giant resonator.