Saying hello! And THANK YOU!

Dabsun

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R..2..4

Dogleg for it's reverse above first and forward, right, forward shift into second. More comfortable for 'racing' where first is seldom used and 4th to 5th to 4th is a straight shift. Found as the standard, standard transmission in the '77-'79 S10. (first gen 200sx) An option in the A10 (later '78-'81 HL510 in L and Z series trim) and in the '77 and up B-210 GX Coupe in A series trim.

AKA the FS5W63A. The 63 is the distance between the main and counter gears in mm. This distance determines just how large the maximum size bearings and gear teeth can be between them. Obviously an FS5W71B with 71mm will be much stronger and indeed was used in the '77-'84 280z, 280zx non turbo and Maximas with six cylinder engines.

All N American doglegs were 26" long same as the 510's 4 speed making it a popular 5 speed swap for an L16. There are the rare 31.5" long doglegs imported on salvage engines from Japan in the 70s/80s. Probably from JDM 610SSS cars.?

The stock 510 box is an F4W63 the dogleg an FS5W63A, similar in potential design strength, and although a totally different design outwardly, they share identical gears ratios 1st through 4th. So other than the shift pattern, no noticeable change when swapped into a 510 sedan. The dogleg is not 'weak' but it is less strong than the FS5W71B from the trucks, Z cars and Maxima. The dogleg is suitable for an L20B in a light car. If for a truck a larger 'stroker' engine or a built L20B I would go with something stronger.

Picture from yesterday. I worked a little on polishing the wheels.... I really need one of those drill attachments !

A trick I picked up from work polishing Alcoa type Aluminum wheels is get a thick type of carpet like Berber ( I go to the carpet store and ask for the sample ones which they give for free ) cut it to the size and length of your hand and use a good metal polish like Mothers or what we use and works amazing.... Wicked Products Metal Polish.

You don't have to work the carpet hard into the rim, just continue back and forth like normal polishing.  The thick carpet gets into the hard to reach areas and makes the work quicker and easier.

Just another way vs the power ball attachment.

• Like 1

A trick I picked up from work polishing Alcoa type Aluminum wheels is get a thick type of carpet like Berber ( I go to the carpet store and ask for the sample ones which they give for free ) cut it to the size and length of your hand and use a good metal polish like Mothers or what we use and works amazing.... Wicked Products Metal Polish.

You don't have to work the carpet hard into the rim, just continue back and forth like normal polishing.  The thick carpet gets into the hard to reach areas and makes the work quicker and easier.

Just another way vs the power ball attachment.

Awesome tip! I'll have to go find some :)