280ZX brake master on a B310

angelmanuel

i got a 79-81 280ZX brake master that I was going to install on my B310 but i ran into a problem. the part of the master cylinder that goes into the brake booster measures 1.423" in diameter on the 280ZX master and 1.275 on the B310 master so it wobbles and does not seat right. has anyone here seen this before? should i have the new master milled down so it fits?  

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The zx master is 15/16 bore inside. Your B310's is only 13/16". The zx one is going to require more leg pressure to get the same line pressure because of the larger volume of fluid moved. The brake booster will help... but it may feel like stepping on a concrete block.

Larger calipers would balance this out.

i got a 79-81 280ZX brake master that I was going to install on my B310 but i ran into a problem. the part of the master cylinder that goes into the brake booster measures 1.423" in diameter on the 280ZX master and 1.275 on the B310 master so it wobbles and does not seat right. has anyone here seen this before? should i have the new master milled down so it fits?  

thanks Datzenmike, just to be clear: i do have to mill the end if the master cylinder so it goes in the booster right?

The piece where it attaches on the booster should be a separate aluminum part. It should pop off, then you need to open up the hole in it for the new master. 

The piece where it attaches on the booster should be a separate aluminum part. It should pop off, then you need to open up the hole in it for the new master. 

that piece is not an issue, the master cylinder goes through it no problems. is the booster tapered inside? i can't really tell by looking at it. the only difference i can tell is the diameter of the master where it enters the booster.

that piece is not an issue, the master cylinder goes through it no problems. is the booster tapered inside? i can't really tell by looking at it. the only difference i can tell is the diameter of the master where it enters the booster.

Interesting. When we put one on a B210 we had to bore out that spacer. 

found the problem. the push rod coming out of the booster is adjustable. this being a new booster it was not set up right.

Now it makes more sense.   ^_^