Clutch went out.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was driving down the road and it all a sudden stunk like clutch really bad. Then it felt it slipping when shifting and clutch would engage with the lightest pressure. But I already have it out and clutch is worn down to the rivets and scored the pressure plate.

Just checking. Carry on.

When the pressure plate is tightened down it clamps the clutch disc and it cannot move. The spline for the transmission probably won't line up and slip into the pilot bushing in the crank. You will need to get a small tool that will position the clutch disc in the center before tightening the pressure plate bolts down. This tool simulates the input spline on the transmission.

clutch_alignment_tool.jpg

• Like 1

Mark torsion bars, THEN remove.

Do not disconnect fluid line from clutch slave.

Trans will be easy after that.

Torque pressure plate evenly.

I never had to remove the torsion bars on any of my 620's to do the clutch, although it would have made it easier. 

OP:

Don't forget while the trans is out, it would be a good idea to get an input shaft seal and replace that as well as inspect the rear main seal for leaks. Hell you might as well get the output shaft seal and clutch slave cylinder, you'll likely never have to touch the transmission again if you do it all while you're there. 

Make sure that whatever trans fluid you buy, you get the right stuff. GL-4 Yellow Metal Safe ONLY.

• Like 1