Datsun 240z Help

so i bought a 240Z and it's a series one 1970. so when i got the car it had no center console. bought one and was about to install it and it doesn't fit. the shifts won't even go into 1,3,5 without hitting the cross member? now i know it's not the original transmission its a 5 speed but i thought it would still fit. anyone know what's going on?

594abebe-d12c-4519-b443-c7ebd13cc7c6_zps

9108dec2-6ff3-466e-a3f7-66b3c999aa0a_zps

3ab28ce5-e13b-41ae-a471-148c31054e58_zps

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By reputation. the 1970 240Z is the last best version!  Everything including the carbs is legally adjustable.  When an owner starts substituting against the original configuration, problems like this just happen![like bodily excresences] substitutionwith different make/model parts is what causes OSIF problems.  Sincerely some former swappers can point you to a non fatal resolution of the fitment problem.  Hope you end up with a workable and visually acceptable resolution!

The earliest z car came with an F4W71A transmission. The later 4 speeds from '71 on were all 71Bs. A later console should fit the shifter location.

Here's the difference. Your early 240z should have the bottom F4W71A 4 speed. The top one happens to be an FS5W71B (5 speed) but the 71B 4 speed is similar looking for shifter location.

F4W71Aearly240zandFS5W71B.jpg

• 1 month later...

so what was the problem 

the series 1 has a different center console 

was that the problem 

the early series have different consoles yes. and with a 5 speed swap the shifter sits farther up so you can't get it into 1,3,5 so i was told if you buy a 280z shifter it will work but still nothing still hits. only thing i have found so far is cut it weld a piece and then reweld is like 2 inches back.  and i wanted to see if anyone had any examples of that