Datsun 1200 Upgrade front brake caliper

LUIS COLCHETE

It is an upgrade across the board. Better calipers, bigger rotors, beefier lower control arms, etc. And it will fit under your 13" wheels. 

I have used that in a car with a hot rod A14, and a lightly modified A15. Worked just fine for that. 

That sounds awesome.   Is there a write up on this?   

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds awesome.   Is there a write up on this?   

No, because I think we are the only ones who've done it...   :rofl:

It doesn't really need one. If you have the entire front suspension from a 1200 (except the engine crossmember), it literally bolts right into a 1200. Unbolt one, bolt in the other. 

Parts can be cribbed from a '79-83 210, or from a '77-81 A10/510. With 210 parts, all straight bolt-in. With A10/510 parts, you will need to change the top hats on the struts. 

You also want to use the donor car outer tie rod and the 1200 inner tie rod. 

hI!

Datsun B110 Rotor 212mm (mine)

Datsun B310 Rotor 245mm fits under 13" wheels

To upgrade to it, i need to buy rotor, brake caliper, pads, and which bracket adapter?  

The problem is, all material that i will find is old not new

Le me know options....

This modification will afect the alignement with rear whells?

If i want brake discs on rear wheels what you advice me?

Many thanks

Luis

datsunfreak:

Doesn't the 210 strut/brake swap add 12-15mm of track width to both sides of the front wheels? 

In my experience, no it does not. I won't say it's exactly the same, but the difference certainly isn't noticeable. Honestly, the mklotz kit will add 5-6mm per side anyway...

Do the fenders need to be rolled OR fender flairs installed?

That is more dependent on your choice of wheels/tires, and/or how low the car is. 

But yes. EVERY 1200 needs fender flares.   B)

I'm running the mkclots/morrisun front brakes, they fit under 13" turbines with minor caliper shaping.

another, more indepth swap could be zx struts with a wildwood ultralight 4 piston caliper for a 3/4 width rotor.20140502_205327_zpsciazpp08.jpg

its a smaller caliper that works alittle different than the zx caliper, so you can move it in real close for clearance. 13x7et0 libre has plenty of room

df, I had to use a 210 centerlink, pitman arm, and steering arm, (in an emergency) i  found that the centerlink was 14plus mm wider from inner tierod to inner tierod.

i figured it was becase the lca pivot was moved outward slaightly. about 8-10mm per side. i think that is why people assume it would widen the width, because the track width is wider, but extended between the lca pivots and inner tie rods.

df, I had to use a 210 centerlink, pitman arm, and steering arm, (in an emergency) i  found that the centerlink was 14plus mm wider from inner tierod to inner tierod.

i figured it was becase the lca pivot was moved outward slaightly. about 8-10mm per side. i think that is why people assume it would widen the width, because the track width is wider, but extended between the lca pivots and inner tie rods.

Makes sense. I know the track width of the B310 is wider than a B110, but using the bits never widened the track. So the difference must be all in the middle. 

I'm running the mkclots/morrisun front brakes, they fit under 13" turbines with minor caliper shaping.

another, more indepth swap could be zx struts with a wildwood ultralight 4 piston caliper for a 3/4 width rotor.20140502_205327_zpsciazpp08.jpg

its a smaller caliper that works alittle different than the zx caliper, so you can move it in real close for clearance. 13x7et0 libre has plenty of room

Thanks!

Do you use 13" wheels?

Which model is your wilwood brake caliper? I made i quick search and i cantt find ...

id don't have any more info than that sorry. I ordered the "ultralight 4 piston " calipers from wilwoods website. they have them for several thickness of rotors.

those are 13s, and you can see I have lots of room, some wheels fit different. my steering knuckle and outer tie rod are closer than my caliper, the the wheel

Acording with your upgrade brake  project, mklotz upgrade kit is compatible with your ultralight 4 piston willwood.

If you have more detailed pics, it is very helpful to caliper identification or any reference, were value information for me.

In other way i will send a message to willwood to help me too to choose .

You have 245mm dimension rotors on it? or bigger ones? You bought your rotors on willwood shop or  from a B310?

i have read this in a forum:

"My Datto 1200 Sports sedan has 286mm rotors and Wilwood superlite 4spots 

inside a set of Rebel(Spelling?)racing 13in rims and have been great. Superlites are ok on light race cars."

It is possible?

I want upgrade front brakes, and spend money...  but for 100% guaranted job i need choose the correct parts 

Itens to buy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-B210-200SX-1974-1979-steering-cross-rod-center-link-LHD-vehicles-NOS-/281900057363?hash=item41a28d8313:g:NjsAAOSwGotWiPk6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Idler-Arm-For-Nissan-Datsun-120Y-B120-B121-B210-B211-B310-/151776980438?hash=item23569cedd6:g:GNIAAOSw~gRVzUlT&vxp=mtr

i need all help possible

Many thanks

Luis

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 4/7/2016 at 4:16 PM, Morrisun said:

Luis:

As I tried  to tell you, it all comes down to WHEELS!

IF you lay a straight edge, that is 396mm long, centered. on the INSIDE of the wheel pictured-against the wheel mounting surface? - does the straight edge hit the spokes? Does it lay flat? IF the straight edge contacts the ANY part of the rim OR spokes- and is NOT COMPLETELY FLAT, against the wheel mounting surface -YOUR wheels will NOT work with Klotz/Morrisun front brake kit! So will they work?? OR not??

And yes, this brake kit widens the front by about 14.5mm

Luis, do your homework!

Most excellent information!!