Composit leafs for B210/120Y

tboe0

Hey

I think I'm hooked on buying a set of composit leads!

I have been writing with Flex a form

http://www.flex-form.com/

And they charge 435$ for a pair. Have seen some other being interested and asked for a group buy price. All above 8 pairs can get the price down a bit. Just have to be within a reasonable timeframe.

But I also ask for help... I dont know all the specs, so if anyone could supply all the info you need to fill out the form on their site for a '76 B210/120Y I would be thrilled ^^

Have gotten the basics but could need some help...

Im going to pair them with a set of Koni shocks or something in that area, so the whole thing is updated.

Best regards

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with the leaves you have now? To replace them there has to be some advantage to doing so. Such as a lower or higher ride height or an increase in spring rate. (stiffness) If they are the same as the stock, (replacement) all you get for $400 is 30 less pounds in weight.

If I have to get a complet new leaf made it costs the same as a composit set?! 

No thanks. 

And Datsun's isnt that common here in Europe, so that's kinda tricky.

You know what. I'm not asking for your opinion if you are going to be negative? This was a post to those who might find it interesting, or could help me with the measurements as I dont have the Leaf ad the place where I live currently.

I'm prop. going to get a set of composit's to test it out, as it is my car, and what I want to do with it. 

Dude! not being negative ..... leaf springs are thick metal... like 7mm by 60mm? "Rustted in half"??? All three of them????? My experience with cars (new '76 B-210) in Ontario is 1/4 year ice and salt, half mud and rocks and half just gravel road. NEVER have I ever heard of a leaf spring rusting through on any vehicle, even just one leaf.... ever. The bodies fall off first or a spring mount can rust away or the spring might break. Pardon me if I naturally, find it hard to believe, but it just doesn't happen here. Please, by all means, feel free to post a picture of this rusted out leaf spring. First time for everything I guess.

Absolutely it's your car, do as you wish. Most, not all, members fix or use an alternate part. Perhaps modify something that will work. Sure, sometimes you just have to buy  something but often there is the fun of making something work. This is what owning a vintage car is all about.

If this is a replacement spring there is no lowering or added stiffness, it's just the same as what you have. If having them made is the same price, you can get them made stiffer and lower for improved ride and handling.. 

Mike, my fault. It have cracked and then rusted, making it look like it rusted through. The car is so rusted that most would give up and let it be. I live in Denmark, here its winter and salt 1/2 of the year, the other half 70% rain and moist all the time. The whole country is surrounded by sea ect ect. So things here have a tendency to rust...

Not all are gone but the main leaf is done and the small one.

What you say is true but having a new pair made here is 3000DKK pr leaf, eg. 6000DKK for a set... So composit replacement for half of that is tempting when it also cuts weight.

Red, Well okay then :) no sweat.

Thanks mate! Good stuff to read.

• Like 1

A 510 wagon spring is unlikely the same length as a B-210.

Lowering the ride height is just a matter of deciding how much. Then add that thickness of spacer (or lowering block) between the leaf spring pack and the perch on the differential. The this to watch out for is you still have the same distance of suspension travel AND are now the thickness of the lowering block closer to the highway and anything on it like manhole lids and speed bumps. It's usual to stiffen the springs when you lower to reduce suspension travel. Generally the car maker installs a somewhat 'soft' spring and most find a bit of firmness desirable. Handling is vastly improved by lowering the center of gravity and firming the ride.

I did not say the springs are the same.

and in addition .... blocks transfer more of the twisting force from the wheel onto the axle/spring. by increasing leverage. turning a large portion of your engines braaaap, into axle wraaaaap.

If you are buying composite just because you can't find any steel ones,, contact this guy maybe he knows where a set of used ones are.. I aint trying to change your mind just throwing it out there... He lists alot of parts for your car even if he doesn't have / or you don't want ,, leaf springs

http://www.datman.co.uk/

Well then screw the group buy?

On not interested in it, just asked if anyone was.

I will. When I get my hands on it again Ill take all the measurements required. Will also have them make it a bit stiffer than std.

Red, true story with the leverage, we don't want to twist the leaf/spring :/

But reading the post with his wagon, I might make a set of tension bars like he's! Very nice and Eken thought out!

Banana, thanks for the link! Didn't know about him, good place to find parts of in my area. Right on!

Ill take a look ad it, but its also caus I want a set of composite for the fun of it. But $$$ always comes first, so if I can source some used ones I might as a start.

• Like 1

I did not say the springs are the same.

and in addition .... blocks transfer more of the twisting force from the wheel onto the axle/spring. by increasing leverage. turning a large portion of your engines braaaap, into axle wraaaaap.

Didn't mean to infer you did. Just saying they probably were not the same to tboe0.

As for wrrrap another good reason for stiffer spring pack.