1981 280zx vintage road racer

Hello All, here goes ! 

1981 280zx (NON t-top and NON 2+2)

plans are to :

gut interior and leave stock dash and keep road horn, signal lights etc working.

Patch rust holes and repair frame

pull out the L28 engine and trans combo and swap in a SBC Saturday night stock car racer '602 crate motor with a saginaw trans.

install a light roll cage to attach 5 point harness, kirkey seats and stiffen up chassis

build new suspension X 4

Front and back bumper delete

fender flares

Aero race wheels with Hoosier tires

keep the outside baby blue "patina" paint 

inside will be a clean off white paint job.

Build rear spoiler 

anyone ever see Aaron Kaughman's (gas monkey garage, pikes peak car) ? i will slightly go in that direction for the interior ! 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Interesting' does not infer there is something wrong with your plans or Pikes Peak cars, only that they are... interesting. I think we have hill climbing members here, maybe pick their brains.  I imagine a wrong coast car will already be lightened by road salt and the roads are more autoX than hills to climb. Do the newfies still have that 7 day 2,200km Targa rally race every year?? There was a green 510 in it once, crashed I think. Will you build towards that?

SBC is a perfect engine swap for a Z car. It actually 'fits' (if you're into that)

YES YES, i used the pike peak hill climb annology because i wasn't sure if anyone had herd of TARGA. 

TARGA GT car will be the direction of the build ! you so so smarrrr 

Also the outside patina is the PatchSun look I'm going for ! 

• Like 1

I'm not trying to belittle or tear apart your dreams, but if you want a SBC-powered car with a decent suspension/brakes system, why not just START with an 80's Camaro? Sounds like there won't be much left of a Datsun once you finish, and camaros are more plentiful (at least here in the states...).

don't worry about "tearing apart my dreams" This project is a reality my friends. The L28 engine and trans have been pulled, The car is gutted, new floors have been bent on the brake. The new race engine is ready to be installed.

camaro's are too plentiful and heavy, hence the datsun Z car build! Also if anyone wants the L28 engine for sale , its listed on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L28-Engine-Datsun-/191837371059?hash=item2caa65fab3:g:Ur0AAOSwJQdW-ayO&vxp=mtr

keep the feed back coming you ratsun purists ???

yes its carb,  its a SBC 350 bored out with a holley 4412 , compression is 9:1 

I race late model circle track and i will be using one of my spec engines from my short track car. 

im excited to build a targa car. the SBC is easily 380hp.

• Like 1

after reading these forums and talking to you guys, im contemplating rebuilding the L28 OHC motor? its a non turbo and EFI. would you dare swap on some carbs? How much HP could you get out of the motor if you threw some money at it ? time for more reading !

BORED I don't have time to get bored ...LOL 

I also have a 280zx 2+2 car for parts