Distributor rotors

Datsundude123

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rotor fits a little loose on some of the aftermarket distributors. If you apply a dab of RTV silicon sealant inside of it, it won't disrupt your timing by vibrating. If its new, its one of those awful Chinese replacement distributors, and likely comes with cap & rotor.

It's from O'Reillys but it doesn't come with a cap so I got a new one for it and I forgot to ask about the rotor!

• Like 1

They are also not new.  Cardone packs them with grease after a quick cleaning, never replaces bushings, rarely replaces springs.  It won't run any better than what you had previously.  

By the way, Mallory is out of business.  They got bought out by MSD, then the company was extinguished.  Holley took over MSD with hopes of resurrecting the product line, but it'll take a while, if it ever happens.  In the mean time, customer support sucks and the available product line is dwindling.  

• Like 1

I dont get it?

get a new rotor also. and cap if one dont come with it.

I dont really know O rileys selling a conversion unless its just a newer dist and hop you know how to hook it up.

Show us. 

the Mallorys are overpriced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some are unitles and still over priced and still use the stock coil and ballast resisitor otherwise they can pop the module

• Like 1

I dont get it?

get a new rotor also. and cap if one dont come with it.

I dont really know O rileys selling a conversion unless its just a newer dist and hop you know how to hook it up.

Show us.

the Mallorys are overpriced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some are unitles and still over priced and still use the stock coil and ballast resisitor otherwise they can pop the module

It's a full distributor except it doesn't come with the cap or rotor but I did get the cap just not the rotor!

I'll go and get the right rotor for the distributor today.

• Like 1

If this Mallory is electronic it's likely just points free. So I suppose this would be a move up as you never have to fiddle with those damned things again. No filing, adjusting or replacing them and the dwell and timing will stay where you put it. But does it have better output? My guess is no as you will be using your old coil.

Nissan made a high energy EI set up that is pointless and has an upgraded coil that can handle the current for a hotter spark. They can be found anywhere for free to $100. Set... and forget.

• Like 1

He posted a pic of Mallory distributors saying that is what he got.

EDIT:The implication I received was that he purchased a Mallory dizzy.

The O'Reillys stores around here are trying really hard to pretend that they're a hot rod shop.

I'd sell you a piece of junk with a fancy sticker too if you didn't know what you were doing.

• Like 1

He posted a pic of Mallory distributors saying that is what he got.

EDIT:The implication I received was that he purchased a Mallory dizzy.

The O'Reillys stores around here are trying really hard to pretend that they're a hot rod shop.

I'd sell you a piece of junk with a fancy sticker too if you didn't know what you were doing.

That's what I thought the guy ordered me! Like I said I'll post pictures when I get it

• Like 1

If replacing, consider an electronic distributor. No points to buy or mess with, no adjusting or filing ever. The EI distributor has higher output when used with an EI coil. $120 for a points coil is just going sideways. The EI was available on the '79 620, '80 720, '79 A10 (200sx) and '79 A10 (HL510) Don't forget you need the matching coil for this to work effectively.

• Like 2