datsun 710 coupe grandma's car

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a clean/rare 74!!! .. There's maybe two 74 coupes in California .. what questions do you have?

well i have one lol! it was a one owner car. bought in 1974 driven until 1990's and then stored in a garage until last week! all original paint. and one small door dent the size of a dime. the little old lady donated it to a church and then i bought it off the church! questions..... so i know they made a japanese version of this car and i'm going to try and replicate it. i know it came with a different steering wheel, and i think it came with a daule su carb set up on the L18 just want to check though? i also want to do a manual swap! i was told that i can put in a 510 tranny and not have to cut the drive shaft. anyone know about this? anything helps thanks guys!

well i have one lol! it was a one owner car. bought in 1974 driven until 1990's and then stored in a garage until last week! all original paint. and one small door dent the size of a dime. the little old lady donated it to a church and then i bought it off the church! questions..... so i know they made a japanese version of this car and i'm going to try and replicate it. i know it came with a different steering wheel, and i think it came with a daule su carb set up on the L18 just want to check though? i also want to do a manual swap! i was told that i can put in a 510 tranny and not have to cut the drive shaft. anyone know about this? anything helps thanks guys!

It's an automatic so long transmission, same as the 620, 280z, 280zx and 810/Maxima 71B 5 speeds. Fits the automatic drive shaft. 510 4 speeds were too short. You'll need to mod the transmission mount and get a 4 speed pedal box, clutch master and slave as well as a 5 bolt mount L16/18 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate.

The '74 automatic also comes with a 4.11 ratio differential. I put one in my 710 goon and it really perks it up.

It's an automatic so long transmission, same as the 620, 280z, 280zx and 810/Maxima 71B 5 speeds. Fits the automatic drive shaft. 510 4 speeds were too short. You'll need to mod the transmission mount and get a 4 speed pedal box, clutch master and slave as well as a 5 bolt mount L16/18 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate.

The '74 automatic also comes with a 4.11 ratio differential. I put one in my 710 goon and it really perks it up.

ok thanks! only question is the 4 speed pedal box.. my pedal box all ready has a spot for a clutch spot i just need the pedal part itself! or should i just look for another pedal box?

Wow. This is a beauty. I'd love this car.

Please don't clone the JDM unless you really know what you are getting into. Cutting into original paint firewalls, full dash replacements, mirrors, wiring harness, brake lines, clutch lines, fuck... I've never done it, but it seems daunting.

i used either a b210 clutch and brake peddal or a 510 peddle in the stock peddle box, there is no spot for the clutch peddle return spring, but the rest of the provisions are there. i just made a small braket for the return spring and removed the clutch slave block off plate. left the gas peddal where it was.

• Like 1

Wow. This is a beauty. I'd love this car.

Please don't clone the JDM unless you really know what you are getting into. Cutting into original paint firewalls, full dash replacements, mirrors, wiring harness, brake lines, clutch lines, fuck... I've never done it, but it seems daunting.

so clone it as in bolt on's like steering wheel lights! carbs you name it! anything i can bolt on and keep it left hand side drive. btw anyone know a good lowering blocks set up for this car?

• Like 1

so if i get a 280z or 280zx will it fit in the same spot where the manual tranny come out through the floor? 

It will bolt to the L18 and the driveshaft will be the correct length. The transmission mount mayl need modifying so the 5 speed sits and is supported correctly. It may be as simple as sliding the cross member forward or back. There are two bolts on each side of the crossmember but three holes on the body for it allowing it to be moved forward or back for short 4 speed or long automatic. The speedometer cable will work. I swapped a 5 speed in place of the shorter 4 speed using an automatic driveshaft

I believe I have a manual pedal assembly that came out of my 710 coupe, I had a bunch of stuff left over from mine so I'll see what I got and let you know!

if you do that would be amazing!!! 

Nice score!!!

Deserves TONS more pics ;)

Just my $0.02

and you're right this car does deserve more pictures i will try and see if i can post some soon for all you guys! 

• Like 1

It will bolt to the L18 and the driveshaft will be the correct length. The transmission mount mayl need modifying so the 5 speed sits and is supported correctly. It may be as simple as sliding the cross member forward or back. There are two bolts on each side of the crossmember but three holes on the body for it allowing it to be moved forward or back for short 4 speed or long automatic. The speedometer cable will work. I swapped a 5 speed in place of the shorter 4 speed using an automatic driveshaft

thanks again for all your help!

I believe I have a manual pedal assembly that came out of my 710 coupe, I had a bunch of stuff left over from mine so I'll see what I got and let you know!

did you find those pedals ? i also need a couple other parts are you parting one out by any chance?

• Like 1