short shocks for front

DatsuNissanLove

Hi guys was just wondering if anybody has use shorter shocks in the front of der 620's.. alot of people with hard bodys use pinto shocks in the front n say that it makes a huge diff.. but they also use sway away torsion bars.. just trying to see if anybody knows of a good set of shorter shocks i can use after i reindex..

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy on here that worked at Baxters a long time ago had 3 front shocks brought in to the store that were supposed to be short(stud top, eye bottom), the 521 shock, the Pinto shock, and some other short shock, side by side there was nothing shorter than the 521 shock, and it is made for a truck, not a car.

The 720 guys that lower their trucks should use 521 front shocks, as they are shorter than a 720 front shock.

I myself cut the 720 lower control arm shock mount out and then used a roadster front shock(stud/stud) where the sway bar mounts, and I then relocated the sway bar mount.

DSCN5207.JPG

Here it is before mounting the sway bar.

DSCN0355.JPG

With the shock fully compressed like in the photo below, the cross member under the oil pan on my truck is sitting on the ground, but I also have drop arms on this vehicle.

DSCN0345.JPG

• Like 1

Pinto shocks needs modifications to bolt in. 01-04 xterra are boltin. And the Monroe website list xterra shorter than 521 and pinto.

HB is 8.875 and xterra 8.250 and 521 8.375 pinto 8.375. And the shortest would be 01 xterra at 8.000 monroe part #33180 ... these are monroes listings, other manufacturers might be different.

Edit: looked up shock length for waynos roadster shock mod. Gabriel is 7.060 part#

• Like 2

Pinto shocks needs modifications to bolt in. 01-04 xterra are boltin. And the Monroe website list xterra shorter than 521 and pinto.

HB is 8.875 and xterra 8.250 and 521 8.375 pinto 8.375. And the shortest would be 01 xterra at 8.000 monroe part #33180 ... these are monroes listings, other manufacturers might be different.

Edit: looked up shock length for waynos roadster shock mod. Gabriel is 7.060 part#

Good to know. 

Looking in the computer at work (i work at oreilly) I show two monroe part numbers that list 8 inch on that xterra. The other manufacturers (kyb, Rancho) show 8.25

Part number of the KYB GasAJust? Cost(not list)?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I just saw a shock at work yesterday, I didn't have time to measure it up unfortunately.. but im sure it was shorter than any other shock ive seen. it was from a little Isuzu truck. NKR66e

Isuzu part number 8972535920

KYB part number 444261

If someone has the resources to look up the dimensions that may be an option..

Cut a re-position the shock mount and run the shock designed for the 620 truck weight.The 620 is about 2,750 lbs plus 1,000 lb of payload. The shock would be designed for this and the spring rate used on the 620. I imagine the Isuzu is a lot lighter with lighter spring rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike how does payload play into front shock rates?  And what makes you think the front corner weights of the Isuzu are less than the Datsun?  Does their cast iron engine weight less?  Maybe its the fenders or bumper that weight less?  I'd be more worried about the shock installation angle.  That can easily change the rate by 30%+.  

If you put weight in the back it also bears some on the fronts and you would definitely feel it when hitting the brakes.

Said I imagined. Assumed it was like a Samurai or something. He did say 'little'

Will NKR66e shocks work? Don't know, but I know they are not 620 shocks with the proper length, stroke and compression and rebound damping rates. As the OP is asking about them I assume he has checked that they are physically the same and will bolt in??????

Here's something else. Are the stock shocks really in danger of bottoming out? Surely car makers would design them so that at the most extreme of suspension travel they do not. Why have rubber bump stops then?

'78 620 shock

Stroke ....... 1.57"

Damping force @ 1 foot per second...

Expansion.................. 88-128 pounds

Compression................ 35-62 pounds

• Like 1

Actually when you add weight to the rear, it shifts weight off the front.  Yes, under hard braking the fronts will gain more weight but that won't affect the spring rate, which is more important.  The shocks are there to absorb road abnormalities.  So I guess if you hit a bump with a  loaded bed in a lowered truck  while braking hard, it might matter?   You can however blow out a shock if it bottoms out or over extends to where its supporting suspension weight.  Hell, I blew out shocks every 2 years in my Ford just from the snow plow weight, but we're talking about a 3000+ lb front corner weight.  

I wish those compression and expansion numbers you list for the 620 shocks were opposite Mike.  Don't assume the manufacturer does what's best.  Sometimes they just use an existing design because its functional and saves design/manufacturing dollars.  Its always cheaper when the tooling is paid for.  I'm sure there's no way to improve the ride of a 620 because the designers got it perfect?  

• Like 1