High amp draw 76 620

J's 620

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This problem exists on a 76 620 l20b.I'm getting about a 5amp draw when the key is in the on position. When I connect the meter from neg. cable to the neg post im hearing a click near the carb. I'm about to pull the air cleaner off to get a better look. Sounds like a relay. Any bright ideas before I even look? Thanks.

Doesn't sound like a problem. The ignition in the ON position turns lots of stuff on like...

The ignition relay

The points in the distributor

The red CHARGE and OIL dash lights

The gas and fuel gauges

The idle cut solenoid in the carb

I'm surprised it's only 5 amps.

• Like 1

Again sorry for the dummy post. I want to add that when the motor runs I only get 12 ish volts across the battery. The voltage regulator gets hot. Under the cover of the regulator there is a wire connected to the coils in there and the insulation burned up a bit. No chg light on while running.

New p.o.s. reman napa alternator( I mistakenly replaced the old with the reman)

Now, this is my 2nd alternator. The first reman worked for 2 weeks. Then the chg light started coming on. So we're on #2 now. I had it tested when I exchanged it and it put out the 14.4-14.6.

Recap: 12.4 volts across the battery while running, voltage regulator getting hot and that wire starts cooking, NO chg light on dash. I have solid ground connections. ?

Is this a ground problem? Should I get the alternator tested again?

I found a thread here that talks about the napa voltage regulator being a piece of crap.

The part# is correct but is the alternator itself correct?? Should I convert the wiring to the internally regulated version to find out? I found the thread on that one as well.

Both napa and autozone keep giving me an alternator that are different than my original.

Does this mean it's fixed? What about the hot regulator?

No it is not fixed until I find the right alternator I think. My truck has never had this problem.

• 8 months later...