Intermittent starting problem, please help.

MayBob

I am a new member and this is my first post I'm in need of a little help. So my vehicle is a 1985 720 rwd 2.4L. The problem I am having is that my truck sometimes will not start, and then after doing basically nothing it will run just fine. When the issue occurs it's like my key does nothing. I have no power to the fuel pump, it won't turn over, no clicking noise. Also I get no response from anything in the accessories position, no radio, no dash lights etc. My headlights still, work cigarette lighter works, basically anything that works without the key in anyway. I strongly suspect the ignition as all my fuses appear functional, tested with multimeter. My dad is using this as another reason I need a new car, but I will never give up on my truck. Any advice or experience you guys could share would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would appear to be the ignition switch.... BUT first...

Reach up behind the ignition switch and unplug and plug it in several times. This will polish the contacts an firmly seat the connection. See if this helps.

Next check the fusible links. The 720 has three, one Black and two Green and they are about 4 inches long with plastic connectors on the ends so they can easily be removed from the harness and changed. They are located very close to the positive battery post connected to the positive cable. Generally there is one Black and one Green more or less together sharing a plastic connector. The other Green one is close by with it's own connector. The one you have to examine should be the Green one paired with the Black.

The fusible links are a special wire with a special coating that is fire resistant. The fusible link is expected to melt and break the electrical connection if over loaded, yet not catch fire. It may appear crisp and burned or normal, but the wire inside is melted. Usually you can tell by looking at or feeling it. If they appear normal try unplugging several times like the ignition switch to clean, polish and seat the connection.

If this does not work, feel free to replace the ignition switch.

• Like 1

When the issue occurs it's like my key does nothing. I have no power to the fuel pump, it won't turn over, no clicking noise. Also I get no response from anything in the accessories position, no radio, no dash lights etc. My headlights still, work cigarette lighter works, basically anything that works without the key in anyway.

If the ignition is not turning on the heater or wipers, radio or dash gauges, then a hot start relay probably won't help.

• 2 weeks later...