Subie R160 CLSD 3.7 to 3.9 swap?

Draker

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it doesn't, it's very easy to find Subarus with 3.9s and 4.11s. But I'm fairly sure they interchange.

yeah, I'm looking for the elusive 3.9 clsd ideally.. but if I can piece it together, why not I suppose. 

• Like 1

I think they will, both are built by Fuji Heavy Industries. Nissan and Hyundai have both owned part of Fuji in the past as well as Toyota, maybe more. This is why the early '80 Toyota 4x4 four piston calipers will bolt right onto the early Z car.

• Like 1

I've got a line on a 3.7 clsd. I'm going to go hunting for a 3.9 though. They exist.. but hard to say if any of the yards around here would have one. If not.. I might pickup the 3.7 and try to swap.

^^^ That is what i did when I swapped gears out in the rear diff of my svx. I retained the svx stock lsd carrier and installed it in to the new diff housing.

I didn't think about that until Stoff mentioned it, but I agree.

I think my 2003 subie 444 ratio has different ring gear bolts I was going to have a gear guy swap and I think he said my old 3.90 ring only may have to be re-drilled to work not sure ?

Interesting! The 2003 would have been vlsd right?

In the next few days or weeks I'm going to hit the yards... going hunting. I've found a 3.7 clsd.. but looking for the 3.9. 

If none of that works.. I might look at the swap.