Mopar v8 510

I warned you in my first post about the reaction you would get. Happens every time.

But seriously, who's builds are you reading to say everyone is building a cookie cutter factory resto? That crap is over on the Realm. I suppose if 280zx struts and some kind of Nissan 4 cylinder is your definition of cookie cutter, you are right. Those are a common theme here.

V8 510 gets bagged on because of a number of good reasons. Huge engine, tiny car is the American formula for a drag racer. A shame to make a car renowned in it's day for its handling into a straight line car.

Also, 99 out of 100 of the people who ask about the swap either can't do it or don't finish it, so you'll have to forgive us when yet another guy who hasnt cut his teeth on the forum asks that question. Don't tell. Show. Just do it.

And yes, your unibody can't take that kind of beating. Loads of welding and reinforcing will be necessary to handle both the weight and the drivetrain stress.

Honestly, I have never seen Mike say a single positive thing to a person talking about this swap. The fact that he simply stated "look them up, identify the problems" is actually pretty significant.

You haven't been flamed. At all. Go look up some of the other v8 threads from the last year, then you will see flaming.

You want us to tell you cool idea dude? Then build it right, like Peter Brock and his Datzilla.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/griots/5532039121/in/photostream

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would go and read the v8 in a 510 threads that have been posted I am actually one of the few that says fuckin go for it, I then say don't use a small block Chevy. I would also say this about the 273, distributor is at the wrong end for it to be stuffed under the dash of a 510.

If you want to build a rat rod out of it then just cut the whole damn font end off an weld on some frame sections from an old ford and make it whatever the hell you want.

Just how Rat Rod are you wanting to actually go? Q-tips comment made me think that really if you slammed the back of the wagon down with some giant tires sticking out to either side of it and cut off the front end and stretch some frame rails out so the V8 doesn't have to sit under the dashboard and then just slapped basically the grill and headlights and Valence back on to it that might be a pretty sweet dirty rat car

I was thinking about lengthening the front frame rails and clip. give it a longer hood? or using air bags to offset the weight gain, and placing the motor actually as far forward as possible in the compartment to maintain shifter placement and overall interior design, I was planning a tube x frame under the car so it has more structure but still looks stock I am not a fan of full caged cars.

So

As far as firewall the 273 measures 19 3/4" from front of motor mount to backing plate.

My 510 is at the shop... does anyone know the l16 measurement?

Fit the engine, keep in mind room for a rad, the MMs fall wherever they fall. How long is the 3 (or 4) speed to the shifter. It's side mounted so can't be that far back.