Score! Factory 510 Competition Racing struts.

fisch

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK back with some measurements. Which are actually the same as the 510 strut. ( I am assuming these crusty struts I have here are 510 and not 610 or 710. I never saw them in a car.) So it would seem the only difference between them is the Comp strut tube was shorter. How short, I don't know because your suspicion was right Mike, these appear to have been shortened. You can see a seem inside the tube about mid way down the coil sleeve.

So in the end, other than the serial number, these struts are no longer different than a pair of stock shortened 510 struts.

-Disc brake caliper mounting holes-  75mm

-Spindle bearing surface- 42mm

-Bump Steer Spacer mounting- 80mm mounting holes and 40mm center hole

-strut tube o.d. 2" (same as the old 510 strut)

IMG_5241.jpg

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

As to the coil springs (Thanks for figuring out the rate Mike!)

Wire width- 3/8

Number of free coils 8

IMG_5235.jpg

Took a while but I found it!

Struts thanks to banner

Break upgrade kit thanks to mklotz

C8BE1AF1-47AB-4231-AFA5-41A5C9D203EF-768

you can see the salution we came up here, to run a stock spring and top hat. I think the wagon ended up close to full up adjustment, with preload from the springs. idk for sure.

These are the strut housings I have on my 71 510 parts car and I noticed they were stamped, but working on my other 510 I can't remember if they were stamped or not. The parts car actually sits about 2 in. Lower in the front compared to my 68' Just curious if this number pops up in your book somewhere?

Thank you!

20160321_174426_zps4uxagjgd.jpg

These are the strut housings I have on my 71 510 parts car and I noticed they were stamped, but working on my other 510 I can't remember if they were stamped or not. The parts car actually sits about 2 in. Lower in the front compared to my 68' Just curious if this number pops up in your book somewhere?

Thank you!

Sorry for the double post!

These are the strut housings I have on my 71 510 parts car and I noticed they were stamped, but working on my other 510 I can't remember if they were stamped or not. The parts car actually sits about 2 in. Lower in the front compared to my 68' 

As an addendum, the stock 510 struts also came in at least 3 different lengths from the factory. 

Thank you!

Alas not in the competition parts list that I have. But maybe a later one?

Thank you!

Post the number to be sure. Looks like 54303 (left hand) U0553 ???

There were no 54303 only 54301 for the LH side struts and not one U on the other half og the part number for any 510

The closest matching number I found was 54303-U0526 which was a disc brake LH 610 used up to April '72.

• 1 month later...

As an addendum, the stock 510 struts also came in at least 3 different lengths from the factory. 

Yes I am just finding this out. The 510 struts on my wagon are about 3/4 to an 1" taller than the crusty stock spares I have (In earlier photos in this post.) Which might help explain why my wagon looks like a 4X4.

I mean damn, this is high. I have half a mind to throw rally tires on there and run it as is.

IMG_4840.jpg

What I would love to know if how long were the 510 competition strut housings?

• 3 weeks later...

Who knows, the Safari look has been growing on me!  Just gott to figure out how to get my rear higher. (Never thought I'd type that!) If anyone does know the stock length of competition race struts from the bottom of the strut to the top of the lower spring perch, I'd love to know.

0-5-6.jpg

0-1-5.jpg

bluebird-Rally-1970-640-rear_zps079689e6

• Like 1