Shorting 510 strut

edekalil

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no no no. Never cut to fit. Cut to get the spring rate you want. The more you cut the lower and stiffer you get... what's the chance that they will both be exactly what you want???

The D-50 coil spring has a diameter of 4", a wire thickness of 0.625 and there are 6.5 active coils. Using the formula 

11,250 X thickness 4

8 X No. coils X diameter 3

This works out to 515 pounds per inch . On a 510's rear cantilever swing arm ratio of 3.8 the wheel feels like the spring is 135 pounds per inch. Not bad for a 510 but many run close to 200 lb/in on the front of their 510 so say 175 is your goal.

Substituting 5.5 coils into the formula (cut one coil off)  gives 609 / 3.8 = 160 lb/in.

Substituting 5 coils into the formula (1.5 coils removed ) gives 670 / 3.8 = 176 lb/in

By now the coil has dropped the ride height too much and camber is creeping in. Just cut rubber spacers and stack under the coil to raise the ride height.

Just wondering if anyone has a couple of of these laying around like on the right that came off a 280zx strut I have. It will allow me to shortin the struts about a 1/2" more than if using the stock one on the left.

71747D00-CB15-4B5B-986B-BC738FB07236.jpg

B87CAC13-3903-4316-9B30-A11716C4197D.jpg

I think you can order them new... I know I got a new set with my Tokico Illuminas.

Your talking about the inserts came with some new ones, I thought the inserts I bought for the 280zx struts had some with them. I must have hidden them. I'll just have to look around. Thanks

soemthin dont look right on that car.

Are those rims the best offset? and the tire are 55 or 60 series?

Should be more tucked in and lower to look right

the back rim should almost be up to the fender. from the tire should be under the rim at least slightly. to get the LOOK. Otherwise I see stock ride height

otherwise body is awesome and hope ou have soem nice bumbers for it. maybe run NO airdam.

• Like 1

soemthin dont look right on that car.

Are those rims the best offset? and the tire are 55 or 60 series?

Should be more tucked in and lower to look right

the back rim should almost be up to the fender. from the tire should be under the rim at least slightly. to get the LOOK. Otherwise I see stock ride height

otherwise body is awesome and hope ou have soem nice bumbers for it. maybe run NO airdam.

+25 offset and I believe 60 series if I remember correctly, unless I do the 280zx swap...can't go lower...those tires are wide and they'll rub the clamp below the perch if I go any lower....I tried it this past Sunday....I like how she feels and grips to the ground now....but I'll swap for the 280zx soon....

Saving up for bumpers :thumbup:

I got Nexen 195/45/15 and they are flush. I think most 195/50s will make it look fine

You got the right offset. as my Rota RBs are the same offset. just thet if you use the stock 510 strut you have to keep the perch the same spot( i did T3 coil overs) when you shorting the stut to a 280zx cartridge. so the tire wont hit the perch.

and if you go to a 280zx strut then the rim will hit as you want a more positive offset rim.

I think your car is too HIGH as its a nice car and you want the look also.

when you order new struts I think they come with the new Caps to screw in the strut

• Like 1

I got Nexen 195/45/15 and they are flush. I think most 195/50s will make it look fine

You got the right offset. as my Rota RBs are the same offset. just thet if you use the stock 510 strut you have to keep the perch the same spot( i did T3 coil overs) when you shorting the stut to a 280zx cartridge. so the tire wont hit the perch.

and if you go to a 280zx strut then the rim will hit as you want a more positive offset rim.

I think your car is too HIGH as its a nice car and you want the look also.

when you order new struts I think they come with the new Caps to screw in the strut

I believe you are correct that the inserts do come with new caps that screw into the top of the strut. I looked at some on line and the pics show that they include them. I have to find where I put mine, they can't be far away because I took them out when I brought the insert to a machine shop to have a mod to make them work with a generic set of adjustable camber plates. My caps are sitting around the shop hiding. I will be using the shortened 510 struts on my goon I plan to have running this summer. I have the blocks for the back axel to lower it about 2" and the springs for the front should lower the front 2" that way the wagon should look something like it did in this pic from way back.

ebyiphone007.jpg

With the shortend struts at that ride height it should not bottom out. Like it did at that time because I did not do anything to the strut at that time just changed the springs.

• Like 1

I'm sure mine came with them, I did a search and what I saw in the pics they where included. That's not to say they all include them. It seems that I had saved them when I took the inserts to the machine shop for the mod I had to do for the camber plates. I figured they might loose them but instead I hid them well. Here is a pic from a search.

14D718AD-0312-47CF-8D05-85DFF980C223.png

• Like 1

What I did was took a 280zx strut I have and with the insert in it it came right to the top of the strut.

70E906E7-3948-4FF0-82C5-E06A79CD0433.jpg

So I had the welder make the 510 the same sence I will use the280zx top cap. The one on the right.

B87CAC13-3903-4316-9B30-A11716C4197D.jpg

That will allow the strut to be about 1/2" shorter. If I have to the only thing I might have to do is put in some sort of a shim maybe a washer to make sure enough threads catch and it binds against the insert. Should work fine. I am using old styl springs that will drop the car 2" without cutting. Collars holding the perch. Old style top hats and camber plates sence I have it all just needed to get the struts shortened. I guess I really did not measure it. But I will when I get back to the house here soon.

• Like 1