Shorting 510 strut

edekalil

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have these older springs that are I think a couple inches shorter than original springs. But you have to shorting the strut to get more travel so they do not bottom out. I'm thinking it could be shortened to take a 280 zx Shock cartridge but would that give it enough travel with out bottoming out. I only plan to lower a wagon or car a couple of inches using these springs I have putting the locking collers below the old spring perch so the springs can sit on the perch like normal.

Keep in mind that you can't lower it forever. Every inch lower than the stock ride height is one inch closer to bottoming the strut out. Only way to be safe (totally safe) is a shorter strut like the zx / Maxima (an advantage to this is monster calipers and larger vented rotors) or cut your strut and fit MATCHING length inserts inside them. (requires welding)

If only going a couple of inches you can lower the spring perch. Your suspension travel will be the same so hitting that same dip or bump on the ride home? Well you are now 2-3" closer to bottoming the exhaust out. If lowering, and you have the spring out anyway, judiciously trim it and the spring will become stiffer. Now the suspension travel is reduced and you have some leeway. You probably will find the ride is improved also as the stock springs are somewhat soft.

There is some easy math for working out the spring rate if you take a few measurements on your coil spring. The PL510 coil should be 'about' 89 lb/in. You can confirm this and also work out how much to cut off to increase it by 50% say 150 lb/in. This is very conservative because once cut you can't put it back. This is what I did on my 710 coils so if I can work this out, I'm no math wizard, anyone can. If you need help let me know.

Ya I have found several older parts from the past not like what they have these days and figured why not use it, shorter springs bought that way back then not cut , camber plates, bumpsteer spacers, I figured shorting it to fit a 280zx cartridge and since it is older stuff I have the springs will fit the 510 perch and I can use the clamp on coller to support the perch. Just thought I would use it on the wagon I plan to get up and running. While it is on jack stands to redo the brakes it would be the easiest to install a setup to lower it a couple of inches or so.

No it should be a pic of the wagon from back in the mid 90s when I first put on the springs and lowered the wagon with out shorting the strut and the perch in its original spot. Only problem was it would bottom out in the front and I believe the way to fix that was to shorting the strut back then it had something about with the shorter spring you lost some of the travel of the strut causing it to bottom out.

ebyiphone007.jpg

• Like 1

Well if you can find them, as Laecaon suggested, replace them with struts from a '79-'83 280zx. They have a larger wheel bearing diameter than the 510, are shorter to begin with, much much larger caliper and a larger diameter vented rotor. I'm running a Maxima strut and although I didn't measure it, it is shorter as well.

.........................................510...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,... A10...................................... zx struts. ZX is actually shorter because it's sitting on it's larger diameter rotor. The strut tube depth on the 510 is 405mm the zx is 376mm so 1.14" right there. The 510's tp hat probably lowers it also.

510A10zxstruts.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't shorten my zx struts either. I am right above the point to where they will bottom out though. Initially they did.. then I just raised it a little bit more.. and problem solved.

Lowered on 280zx struts and D50 springs. had an issue with the front end bottoming out. Fixed that today and drove around a bit.

Aligned it with some string to 1/16th inch toe in on both. 1/8th overall. I need to take it in and have it done And get my wheels balanced.

20150526_204343_zpsq2qg3piq.jpg
20150526_204306_zpsgn5rmbrf.jpg
  • Like 3

So if I get the stock 510 struts shortened to fit a 280zx insert I can set the stock 510 perch at a point where the ride height is good with the stock style springs that will lower the car 2 inches. I can use the collers that clamp together under the perch to keep the perch at the height that should work out I figure. I have some 280zx struts but want to use them on another 510 I have that I plan to put an L20B I have in. I'm just trying to use up some of the old school parts that are still fine so there not sitting around doing nothing. I figure I will buy newer up to date components for the car I plan to put L20B in later because that 510 is all apart and the other cars are all together and running at this time and that way I can keep them that way, I don't plan to drive them hard just around town. I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

The Dime Quarterly online back issues have so much great information. 12 years worth of technical how to articles, and lots of other great 510 info.

Link to back issues on google docs.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1/edit

Here is an article on strut shortening.

22B087B3-E507-41F6-BC83-FE6A83FA467F_zps

351429B0-4922-49BA-9ACA-515FDBF7050C_zps

C147AF5C-6569-4976-9823-357F610BEDC2_zps

• Like 3

Thanks I will check out the info and get them shortened to fit the 280zx insert and plan to use them on the goon because it will be the easiest to lower while it is up on jack stands while doing the brakes and clutch master and slave, wheel cylinders. I do miss the goon because I drove it from 88 to about 04 daily befor parking it for a way too long time. Thank you everyone.

Mine are 'rated' at 6K pounds each. I imagine under ideal conditions but even hand tight you can't slip them. It was mentioned that a sudden shock can exceed 6K maximum but not with tires, springs and good shocks to absorb it, I would think. I did hit some train tracks a bit hard once and pretty sure the front end came off the ground. Very firm ride no bottoming. After this I MIG'd a small weld under the collar so it can't slip down.

I'm very happy to have made an adjustable ride height for about $25 and don't have ten times this tied up in coil overs that are just along for the ride.

• Like 1

I didn't shorten my zx struts either. I am right above the point to where they will bottom out though. Initially they did.. then I just raised it a little bit more.. and problem solved.

Is that the car you used the bushings in I sent ya, it looks good.