72 1200 Bucket Build in Texas

Coda

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the push, fellas :)

Life is crazy. Short version is that while I had a ton of time as a freelancer, I didn't have the money to match. So - I sucked it up and went back to work for the man 3 weeks ago. Now I have steady income....less time. I guess that's the life of a gear head.

I'm still gathering parts. Working a deal from a member on a pedal box and have most of the hardware for my front suspension. Datsunfreak is helping facilitate the purchase of some H190 disc brackets. I'll post some pics in the coming weeks.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Life sure gets in the way, but here's a little progress.

Got the struts shortened 3 inches. I went with the Jetta inserts that are 3 7/8" shorter than stockers. In the pic you'll see the 7/8 spacers I'll be using,

Had to bore the retention nuts about 3 mm to account for the larger shaft.

Here they are tacked and mocked:

F6CAD54C-0BCA-4E78-BEA1-0FF3A0882D81_zps

Welded (with gas this time), ground and primered:

508D6069-8A69-42D3-B6B9-C7CB87460B3E_zps

Wet Paint;

F910049E-70BE-48ED-A300-D1C48BB87FC7_zps

I'll be using 280Z rear springs (cut) and clamps for now, just to get it back on the ground. When the engine is in, I'll likely need to change the springs... but that's down the road a bit.

On a mission to get my bucket rolling so I can trailer it up to work. We have a nice fab area with Miller 220 migs and lifts. Gotta get my frame rails finish welded and start mocking up engine mounts.

At work, have a collection of fairly new Pentastar 3.6 engines that we take out of Jeeps when we do Hemi conversions. They are tiny and make 300 HP. Would be killer with a Challenger 6 speed. My tape measure says it will fit with room to spare. I'll post pics of the mock-up.

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 3

At work, have a collection of fairly new Pentastar 3.6 engines that we take out of Jeeps when we do Hemi conversions. They are tiny and make 300 HP. Would be killer with a Challenger 6 speed. My tape measure says it will fit with room to spare. I'll post pics of the mock-up.

Sweet merciful crap...  

That would be... "exciting"...   :frantics:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Been out of the country on holiday and I came home to see that Brown Santa had paid me a visit.

867BC892-E42F-483D-B862-770D573540B7_zps

Ratsun is chuck-full of genuine car-guys and gals who are willing to lend a hand when the need arises. I made a comment in the classifieds that I was searching for a manual pedal box and got a reply from a Cat 1500 miles away saying he knew where a manual 1200 was...in a field. He rolled out there and extracted the above 1200 parts for me, some guy he had never met. He then boxed them up and sent them for a stellar deal.

Wow.

And if that wasn't enough, check out the Ratsun decal and coveted Rat and Wrenches sticker he threw in on the deal.

Thanks Buddy!

I hope to return the favor to you and the Ratsun community.

On the project front-

Just found out the company I work for is moving to a new, larger shop later in the summer. Bad news is - Ill have to wait a little longer to finish my sheet metal and engine mockup. Good news is - that I'll have a dedicated bay to keep my project in. Argh...the waiting!

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Been out of the country on holiday and I came home to see that Brown Santa had paid me a visit.

867BC892-E42F-483D-B862-770D573540B7_zps

Ratsun is chuck-full of genuine car-guys and gals who are willing to lend a hand when the need arises. I made a comment in the classifieds that I was searching for a manual pedal box and got a reply from a Cat 1500 miles away saying he knew where a manual 1200 was...in a field. He rolled out there and extracted the above 1200 parts for me, some guy he had never met. He then boxed them up and sent them for a stellar deal.

Wow.

And if that wasn't enough, check out the Ratsun decal and coveted Rat and Wrenches sticker he threw in on the deal.

Thanks Buddy!

I hope to return the favor to you and the Ratsun community.

On the project front-

Just found out the company I work for is moving to a new, larger shop later in the summer. Bad news is - Ill have to wait a little longer to finish my sheet metal and engine mockup. Good news is - that I'll have a dedicated bay to keep my project in. Argh...the waiting!

Thanks for looking!

Nice score Coda!

Ratsun is chuck-full of genuine car-guys and gals who are willing to lend a hand when the need arises. I made a comment in the classifieds that I was searching for a manual pedal box and got a reply from a Cat 1500 miles away saying he knew where a manual 1200 was...in a field. He rolled out there and extracted the above 1200 parts for me, some guy he had never met.

I have a couple of those...   :rofl:

• Like 1

I have a couple of those...   :rofl:

Good to know :)  I saw a few parts hanging on the walls of your shop that I'll be hitting you up for in the near future.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Shit man, sorry to hear you have to let it go. I was hoping to see a pentastar swap. The wife's battle van has one and it's a monster. I've been impressed with the engine for 100,000 miles. I would love to see the feasibility of a swap. Can't imagine one in a 1200.

• Like 1

Shit man, sorry to hear you have to let it go. I was hoping to see a pentastar swap. The wife's battle van has one and it's a monster. Can't imagine one in a 1200

I still want to try the Pentastar swap in my Coupe. It could turn into a real beast!

• Like 1

If I had the time and money, I would make a Hakosuka GT-R 1200 Sedan out of Coda's car..

Godzilla!!!

MG_2683-520x346.jpg

My 1200 2 Dr. Sedan

DSCN1362_zps62362329.jpg

1200 Skyline Hakosuka fiberglass kit. Only done on the UTE. It needs to be done on a 1200 2 Dr. Sedan.

Speedhunters_Keith_Charvonia_SEMA_Datsun

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well, since it's an hour from my house, and it's a 1200, I bought it...   :rofl:

But I told Coda he could come buy it back any time he wants.  :thumbup:

I like what he was doing with it, so I will mostly finish it similar to what he had in mind, only with a simpler engine. Thinking L16/L18 or A14/A15.

Still can't decide if I should keep this thread going or just start a new one, but thinking the latter...

• Like 1

Start new, but link to this thread, and put a link to your new thread in here so people can still follow the whole history of the car.

I concur. Can't wait to see what Datsunfreak does with this car.

• Like 2