72 1200 Bucket Build in Texas

Coda

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Met some super-cool Datsun guys at the Datsunfreak compound this morning.

Scored some fiberglass front fenders. Thanks to Datsunfreak for the great deal on them as well as the (seemingly) endless knowledge shared today. 

Also, I've changed direction on my engine plans. Will update as soon as I get my biscuit-grippers on the new lump.  :)

1FF531E1-CB44-401F-8EA3-1E55C64007AB_zps

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5

Looks great!

Lucky your so close to the wealth of knowledge that it datsunfreak!

Sweet little ride!

Thanks for the kind words guys. 

Small update. Went to my secret salvage yard and scored a set of not-too-bad 280Z seats. I found a set with the trick little round vents in the seatbacks, but they we sooo far gone from the elements. I chose these instead. 

Hard to tell from the pic, but they are fairly dirty. I'll probably clean them up and just use them as-is for a while. I dig the chocolate color...may eventually do the back seats and door cards in a similar hue of brown.

FF0F5405-780E-49A4-B120-1486B07A2B8E_zps

A new work deadline will keep me away from the car for a week or so, but I'll post any developments if I sneak outside to tinker.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Today, I pulled the heater box out and cleaned up the auto-console, removing the auto shift gate. Hoping I can use it for the manual conversion...None of that is picture worthy. But I think this is:

A14341C5-BF00-4B48-9480-335DF02C48CB_zps

ad863f08-6adb-445f-b22a-a2dd87c458b4_zps

Made the trek north to see KiloTango. He made me a killer deal on a sedan read clip. Looks like I have a tail light panel, spare tire well and half of the rockers I need..as well as rear quarters that are waaaay better than mine. (Thanks Kerry!)

Side note if anyone wants to weigh in: My car has a build date of 4/72 so I though it was a 1972 model. However, it has the fasten seatbelt pod on top of the dash. Does that make it a 73?

Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 1

Side note if anyone wants to weigh in: My car has a build date of 4/72 so I though it was a 1972 model. However, it has the fasten seatbelt pod on top of the dash. Does that make it a 73?

It has a '72 front valence, and a '72 front bumper. So unless you think it's been smacked and repaired, it's a '72.

Could have had a dash swap at some point? I've also seen a few later '72s with the seat belt light, so...

• Like 1

It has a '72 front valence, and a '72 front bumper. So unless you think it's been smacked and repaired, it's a '72.

Could have had a dash swap at some point? I've also seen a few later '72s with the seat belt light, so...

Good point. It has been smacked in the front and had a left fender well welded on(badly).  Also had a Coupe grille, so who knows. I'm calling it a 72 for now :)

FWIW, I have an auto console in my car. Worked a treat...

20141108_085634.jpg

Sweet. Looks like it was made for a standard!

• Like 1

Nearing the end of the engine room rust repairs. Below is leftover from a previous collision repair (we are looking at a close-up of the forward section of the left strut tower stamping):

B668ACBA-46C5-4D6A-97DE-EB4B8D12A647_zps

Made a quick patch piece to plug weld in:

5EB3374E-28B6-404B-B5BD-DE3A347ACB5B_zps

Figured while I was throwing welding wire at the car, I'd bolster the steering box mount:

5EA5132B-EBC9-4DCD-B1A7-80E7551FA025_zps

A little more dismantling. Took the valance off and was surprised to find a) it was one of the least damaged pieces on the car and b ) that it was not spot welded in, but rather bolted in with SAE fasteners. I'm sure this is due to the collision. Sure made the removal process easier (no spot welds to drill)

08916224-BD4C-4CB5-8DD3-DD5A63A469B7_zps

All that's left to repair, engine bay-wise, is the fender well under the battery mount. Maybe fill a few holes in the firewall and wire wheel it to death before I start slinging POR-15.

Picking up the engine and trans tomorrow. I'll post a pic and update my powertrain plans once I get my meat-hooks on it. 

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

And a weird FYI, after '72 they stopped making the early valence. Post '73 if you bought a valence from a dealer it was the '73 style. Since it fits both, they only make the later style now. 

If you don't know the difference, it's the "smile" shape to the holes. Early cars just had oval holes because they had smaller bumper brackets. 

• Like 2

Barely an update, but tiny progress is still progress. 

Was hoping to pick up my engine today, but life got in the way. Instead I went outside and applied some POR15 action in the areas I  wire wheeled to death. Pretty kickass stuff.

E0C56A03-6D63-4AB5-B405-061F79037839_zps

FE3FC9EC-32B9-4B20-9EB3-B861C2CA2869_zps

Thanks  for looking!

• Like 3