1972 Honda SL70 Restoration

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

FINISHED!!!!

Final projects were carburetor-tuning and wiring, and neither took very long once I got focused on this project. It now runs and drives as good as ever, yet looks way more epic!!

mOsYI3rh.jpg

GcVsMjyh.jpg

4s3QJT3h.jpg

IMkamJbh.jpg

fIE0cC7h.jpg

1vXfD1Ah.jpg

Just to recap, this was a good running 1972 Honda SL70 Mk2, and really just needed cosmetic restoration. I could've blown the budget and rebuilt the motor and upped the power, or I could've put on new front struts, but opted to simply polish and rebuild the old ones.

So, the engine is a bit more grimey than I would like, but at least now it won't be a problem driving it and getting it a bit dirty.

Next up is going to be a bit different motorcycle project, but I'll create a new thread for that one! ;)

~Peter

• Like 3

Honda continued making new parts for EVERY vehicle they ever made until the founder died in the mid 90s. When his son took over he stopped production on everything older than 10 years. That's why there is so much NOS Honda available.

Honda continued making new parts for EVERY vehicle they ever made until the founder died in the mid 90s. When his son took over he stopped production on everything older than 10 years. That's why there is so much NOS Honda available.

That's not true. Soichiro Honda retired as the president in the early 70s, though he stayed on as a director, but then later earned the title "Supreme Advisor" in the early 80s. His son was founder and CEO of Mugen Motorsports, an aftermarket Honda auto and motorcycle tuning company. Soichiro passed in 1991. I don't believe his son ever held any ranking position in Honda Motor after his father stepped down from president.. 

There wasn't a direct tie to managing parts inventory relating to his passing. Around that time is when most all companies became more critical of turning over parts on the shelves and realizing that warehouse space is extremely valuable. Honda wasn't the only company to reduce their old parts stock. 

• 1 year later...