Auto Trans question for mike

raceneely

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I have some early Patrol, '65 520/521 and up, Roadster, and 510 and up cars. That's about as far back as I can go.

There weren't very many good strong transmissions back then because, frankly there wasn't much need for one as engines were below 1.3 liters. I guess the Roadster would be one. Weren't 1600 Roadster engines used in some 410/411s. If the HP was maybe around 100, this would tax the 4 speeds of those day I would think. 

Automatics are more forgiving as there is no gear changes only multi clutch pack engagements. There are no significant shock loads, as the transmission is always in gear and shifts are cushioned. The engagement of drive 'gears' is always near idle speed. Everything is done by hydraulics and the transmission fluid cools everything. 

All I know is that more WRL411 wagons than RL411 sedans were shipped to the North American / Canadian market.  My best guess is that since the wagons were aimed at the family transport to and from school. supermarket or vacation market, that I suppose that most were sold as Automatic transmission versions to accomodate what would eventually be known as "Soccer Mom" vehicles.  It's a lot easier to yell at the brats in the back seat when you don't have to concentrate on upshifting.  And you can get more groceries in the wagon than the sedan trunk can hold.

The British Borg Warner M35 transmission was and still is an excellent Transmission [damned near bullet proof] and was/still used in many European vehicles.  If you need parts or a complete rebuild kit, look in "drive train" for my posting on available kits!