What electric fans to use on a 620?

Scgreen620

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used 1 12 inch and kept the shroud. With that said, I either want to try a dual setup or go back to the clutch fan lol. The electric fan works, but Im not too happy with how it has to work to keep the temp gauge down. Maybe I just need to have the fans kick on at a cooler temperature.

• Like 1

What I run doesn't apply to a stock radiator, because I use a VW Scirocco radiator.

But on it, I use 1-12" puller on the back, and 1-10" pusher on the front, offset from the rear.

The rear is on 100% of the time, and the front is controled by the Scirocco temp switch.

The power from both comes through an 80 amp relay.

Works great in 110 degree days here in S. Texas.

And like Orangie says, it's not the size, but the flow numbers that count.

My 3 liter Toyota with 12:1 compression, had a twin Flexalite on it rated at a little over 2000 cfm, that worked, but barely.

But in the same fan size, a Derale twin setup is rated at 4000 cfm, so I went with that, so I have pleanty safety margin.

Derale has a single 12" rated a 2000, so there is a big difference in performance from one make to another.

• Like 2

Focus from the early 2000s. Over the in the 720 section, there is a thread about cheap electric fan conversion, and he builds a pretty nice setup.

Focus fans (in addition to other ford electric fans) are known for their high cfm draws

• Like 2

I hafta say that SPAL makes the best electric fans by far. I ran them in my Turbo Miata which notoriously run hot and it helped a lot.

One word of caution with high CFM fans...they make a LOT of noise. When both fans kicked on people would look like WTF?? Especially irritating in a drive-thru when they keep asking to repeat your order....

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/spal-electric-fans

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I used a 10 or 11 inch puller. It has a cfm rating of 1200 or so. Not sure what brand but I did get it from summit. Pulls low amps too. Fit/size, cfm rating, and amp draw are the big factors to consider. Oh and maybe how it mounts. I mounted to the radiator brackets using a custom setup. No shroud. It keeps the temp Guage slightly less than dead center. My cracked mechanical fan ran it at dead center or just above.

Like someone posted above....there are a few threads on this. But I will post a pic!

810CD808-AF41-4B94-BD9C-6698A0EEF151.jpeg

Edited by J's 620
  • Like 1

I recently bought the Ebay fans, and I can vouch for their total lack of quality or cfm.  Spend the money and buy a good SPAL fan.  Anything else will give you false numbers including Derale.  You can run up to a 16" fan on a Datsun radiator.  You just need to build a flat shroud to mount it on.  Pullers are more efficient.  Around $130 all-in, with a legitimate 1000 cfm when mounted:

https://www.amazon.com/Spal-30100400-Straight-Blade-Profile/dp/B003PB44LW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1481223620&sr=1-1&keywords=16%22+spal+fan

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003PB41SI/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

• Like 2

I have yet to find an electric fan that really impressed me. OEM fans from european cars (Volvo, BMW, etc) are very high quality, but they draw high amps, sometimes over 50 amps.

SPAL certainly has the goods. The best product they had (past tense) was a fan controller that had circuitry for two fans which could start individually and had soft start and variable speed controls. Plus a timer for after the car was shutoff. They discontinued the product, much to my consternation. Seems like whenever something really good hits the market, some bean counter wipes it off the books.

• Like 1

I have yet to find an electric fan that really impressed me. OEM fans from european cars (Volvo, BMW, etc) are very high quality, but they draw high amps, sometimes over 50 amps.

SPAL certainly has the goods. The best product they had (past tense) was a fan controller that had circuitry for two fans which could start individually and had soft start and variable speed controls. Plus a timer for after the car was shutoff. They discontinued the product, much to my consternation. Seems like whenever something really good hits the market, some bean counter wipes it off the books.

Have you ever installed the Ford Taurus or Lincoln Mark VII dual speed single fan?

Or the Ford Focus dual speed dual fans?

Draws are high like you mentioned, but cfm is also quite high. I've pretty much only seen rave reviews about using them, even from V8 crawler type guys.

• Like 1