1978 datsun 810 wagon 4spd.

Hi ! I recently aquired a 78 810 4spd . The car had severe rust in cylinder.3 beacuse it sat for years after the headgasket blew. So i got hold of an l24 from a laurel and swapped the head from the 810 on to that engine. IM in the process of removing the old engine from the car and take the parts from it that i need(starter, flywheel, clutch etc.).

The car is a one owner car that was bought new in the US and brought over to norway the same year. I was contacted by the owner as they needed the garage space it occupied and were to old to do anything about the car, but they hoped that i could put the car back on the road. And that is what i plan on doing B)

Some pictures follow.

IMG_20151208_151730.thumb.jpg.e323bae1fc

Pics of the Laurel L24 i bought to use the block.

IMG_20160117_151335.jpg

IMG_20160117_160310.jpg

The engine was stripped down to the block and then the block and oil pan were painted.

IMG_20160202_195724.jpg

i sanded down and polished the valve cover and the cylinder head has been refurbished.

IMG_20160218_151559.jpg

The valve cover is just loose on top to protect the camshaft and such , as the chain was not installed at this point.

IMG_20160218_151625.jpg

This is the engine at the time of writing , still needs a few bits . Like the elbow for the oil filter etc.

IMG_20160301_133926.jpg

This is the car right before a quick hose down.

IMG_20160301_113851.jpg

In the workshop , hood removed for easy access during swap.  Still needs a good polish and detail .

IMG_20160301_133830.jpg

Changed the shifter boot as it just arrived in the mail.

IMG_20160301_134100.jpg

IMG_20160301_142959.jpg

As you can see the car needs a good clean up and detail , outside and inside.  Other than that its a complete car and it does not have too much rust.

• Like 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You turned that motor around!

How long did that take?

Also once it's on the road and going is the best time to work on it.. find a 5 speed.. clean up little things as you enjoy the ride..

Used maybe 45 hrs on the engine spread out over a month.

Im sort of torn on a 5speed .On the upside its a nice upgrade , but im thinking about keeping the 4speed for originality.

Choices , choices :p

• Like 1

Oh man thats car is NICE.

Lower it with soem nice wheels

This is better and cooler than a BMW!!!!!!!!!!

dont drive it in the salt roads

Thanks !. Trust me this car wont touch salted roads. Its a summer car only , you know for the nice days.

Its not supposed to be a daily driver :p

YOu have the round healite one. They look better.

There was a while one on here lowered and nice wheels. I would trade my 510 for it. As I get older and now wagoons are more popular I would love to have a 810 manual trans wagon.

I sent soem parts to one of your countryman. He has a red silver 510 with Rota RB wheels. Told him I wanted a Helle Hunting knife for this favor

YOu have the round healite one. They look better.

There was a while one on here lowered and nice wheels. I would trade my 510 for it. As I get older and now wagoons are more popular I would love to have a 810 manual trans wagon.

I sent soem parts to one of your countryman. He has a red silver 510 with Rota RB wheels. Told him I wanted a Helle Hunting knife for this favor

Wasnt the square headlights for 1980 models only?

Looks like you have points ignition also. here was electronic already. You might be able to find a Pertronix conversion or get a later Nissan electronic distributor.

The laurel engine had points, but im using the stock distributor from the 810 . This is an US 810 that was privately imported to norway :p

Thanks for all the attention guys !

Ive seen your car on youtube archtype , it looks awesome !

Whats the dimensons on your wheels? In time im gonna want to put some rota rb 16x7 offset +4 on mine ,but i dont want the wheels to poke outside the fenders.

14x7 0 offset all around with 195/60 in the front and 195/65 in the back I might have to go 195/55 if I could find them they don't rub but time to time they can if the road is rough.

With 16 inch wheels it will definitely rub these cars don't have a lot of room in the wheels wells.