Fill plug seized on my 86 5speed... already drained

Mint86720

I have an 86 4x4 720 the fill flug is solid iv used blow torch got it red hout several pipe wrenches i got it to budge but its going no further can i take the reverse switch out and fill know it will take forever wat are my options its my daily driver and i have to work the afternoon the plug will Not come out

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't own a can of pb blaster, go buy some. If you got the plug to budge, then go back the other way, see if you can turn it back and forth and slowly get more movement out of it. You can soak it with the pb blaster and if that's not enough, then heat it up again and then spray it with pb. It's a steel plug in an aluminum case, So you may have a corrosion issue binding it up. Use lots of anti seize when you put it back in.

Yes ,, we ended up filling Pumkin210s Maxima through the reverse switch,, took for ever but it did go in.

If it makes you feel better,,  there was 4 of us all trying to remove that stupid plug that night,, we were literally lifting the car up by the pipe wrench hooked to that filler plug.  :lol:

I have never had any problem removing anything threaded from aluminum.

Proceedure:

Get out the torch again, but don't get the plug red hot. All it needs is about 300 degrees F.

Then spray your favorite penetrating lube on it. I use Liquid Wrench, but anything meant for the job will work.

While it's cooling, tap on it. Not beat it to death, just repeated sharp smacks with a small ball pein hammer.

Repeat this stem a few times.

Then heat it once more (aluminum expands when warm, more than steel, and it will screw right out.

Hope you didn't screw up anything trying to get that plug red hot, as aluminum does a real good job transfering that heat to the nearest bearing, or seal.

Listen up.

Lift car. Like as high as you can.

Place 1/2" ratchet in fill plug.

Hit right side of ratchet with a hammer while keeping tension on ratchet.

I have performed this many times. All successful.

Never remove a drain plug again without knowing fill is loose.

• Like 2

If all else fails, bust your your drill. drill it then use a dremel to carefully cut the remaining portion of the plug out. You can do this without killing the threads.. especially on a plug this big.

But for real... do what flatcat said. You'll have the greatest chance of success.

Heating the fill plug only expands it making it tighter. Heat around it on the case and the hole gets larger.

If all else fails, bust your your drill. drill it then use a dremel to carefully cut the remaining portion of the plug out. You can do this without killing the threads.. especially on a plug this big.

But for real... do what flatcat said. You'll have the greatest chance of success.

Next post is... Fill plug needed. I cut mine up.
  • Like 3

That sucks.

If it's already seized, the only way from here is the heat, penetrating fluid, rocking back and forth method as everyone else has described.

If that doesn't work, it's likely the case is scrap. There's always a way, but if the threads are screwed up, tapping to another size would be the only way to save this case. And then there's the drilling/tapping debris inside that would have to be cleaned out.