Hooking things back up after rebuild

antiextreme

0226160605b_zpsquutqvex.jpgLost my pictures that I took during tear down.  Was able to determine how most things went back together from info in the forums but have some last remaining things to connect.  Two wires going to the alternator.  One is red and white, the other is black.  This is where I think they attach.  Does that look correct?

0226160605a_zpskom7zwmo.jpgTwo wires to the distributor.  "N" is coming from the coil.  "M" is coming from a wire loom that has branched off and looks to feed some other miscellaneous things on the thermostat and (old) carb.  Which one goes to which connector in the picture?  Top or bottom?  Thanks!

I will also have several questions about what I can scrap as I install my new Weber, but that will be over in the appropriate forum.  Stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I am slowly putting back together my 72 goon with a hopefully functional L16 to replace the orig, which is toast. I think I have the two wires that go to the + on the coil. before the wire heads off to the matchbox (again, hopefully functional, scabbed from a '80 720) B terminal. What confuses meis, why is a wire that only goes hot in the start position of the ignition even needed if the other (hot all the time the ignition is "On") is providing the 12 volts?  Thanks,

Tim ps can I take out the relay above the driver's side horn and chuck it, or do I have to jumper anything?

• Like 1

Good thought about not having a hot wire dangling around ready to ground out. I have disconnected that relay and it doesn't seem to affect anything. Yeah, I read somewhere about it being an emissions relay related to the two point dizzy. I'm ditching that and the weird third gear wiring to the tranny. I have a Weber ready to try. PS surpise, the PO "got creative" with a lot of the wiring, especially headlights. Rear lights don't work period. Hopefully I will get this project rolling and take pictures before it (inevitably) rusts out like everything in Humboldt.

• Like 1