A Crow to Eat, and a 710 Wagon (Single Cam KA swap) (Need Motor Mount Help plz respond)

Wrong. Bell housing patterns L/Z/KA are all identical. L series simply leans like 13 degrees (or something like that) in the opposite direction of the Z and KA. The bellhousings account for this difference by rotating the bolt pattern around so the shifter still points straight up.

L leans so drivers side intake manifold clears the hood. Z leans so passenger side intake clears hood. Use the bellhousing that matches the HEAD you are using for this reason.

Gotcha. I appreciate it. I'll hang on to the L bell housing then, but the LZ isn't happening until this summer when I have a job again and more money to throw at stuff. Need a transmission to drive around until then :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more updates from the last two weeks. As always, I wasn't as productive as I had hoped

Last week, all I really did was go around and find any bad looking rust spots, sand them, and then hit them with some rust neutralizer

20160402_130031_zpso6m0nset.jpg

Once my transmission was back together, I got one of my friends to volunteer to help put it in.

Say hi to my lovely assistant Tanner. He's a Jeep guy. Also pictured is my transmission

20160401_150645_zpszdnsjzpj.jpg

We got about this far. It's in and bolted to the engine, but I think the cross member may need some mods or spacers, because it's sitting about an inch low. Or I'm just dumb...

20160401_154941_zpsfasbegxq.jpg

Anyways, that's all I have for now. Tomorrow I'll probably get on the cross member, and then put the drive shaft in and drive around the block or something.

Here's another picture of the car to tide you oic whores over

20160402_130042_zpsta6vqxer.jpg

• Like 2

Couple more updates from today.

The transmission is in. Got it fully bolted in.

Here's the cross member:

20160403_140624_zpsza89ynrb.jpg

Also put the drive shaft in

20160403_143131_zps5dotsalf.jpg

I had all the shift levers from my various transmissions, so I went with the layback one from the truck for the lulz

20160403_142751_zpsyibdp9gw.jpg

Also decided to swap out the giant stock steering wheel with something a bit smaller to give my 6'7" self a little more leg room

20160403_142759_zpsae8pcwu6.jpg

The Superior Performance Products 500. Came out of my shed, has just enough rattieness to match the rest of the car. Went from like 15.5 inches to 14.

Didn't get to drive it because I had to get back down to Albuquerque. Next weekend I'm going to put oil in the transmission and see if it drives. Then I need to figure out the headlights, but once I have that figured out I should be driving this car all over the place.

Until next time.

Happy Friday Ratsun. Here's an update.

Today, I filled up the transmission with oil. I used Royal Purple 75w-90 because it was the only one I could find at the local VatoZone that specifically said it was non corrosive to yellow metal. I also learned that Royal Purple fluids are actually purple. Neat.

Anyways, after I finished filling the trans, I went and pillaged some slot mags off my Roadster, since I still haven't found another pair of Equips

Bonus oic of the Roadster, post pillaging (the yellow one is mine)

20160401_132352_zpsjjsebg1n.jpg

After I got the slot mags, I took a lunch break. There's still posole left over from Christmas (those from New Mexico will understand)

20160408_122808_zpsxk7cgyyv.jpg

Delicious

I went back out, put my air cleaner back on, put my wheels on, and started it. I tested to make sure it went into all the gears, then set it on the ground, and drove it around the block...

IT SHIFTS LIKE SHIT!

I think it might be the plastic bushings in the shifter, because you could see them moving around all over the place. If not, I have my 280zx trans I can swap bell housings on. It also needs the brakes and clutch bled, and the throttle cable needs adjusting. Either way, It drove around, so that's an accomplishment, right? And since it's now out of the tent-garage thing, here are some oics for you

20160408_151712_zpseq7xuwgi.jpg

20160408_151724_zps8jy2atm0.jpg

20160408_151747_zpswnylcrqd.jpg

20160408_151807_zpsdsmr3fpn.jpg

20160408_151736_zpsssahgv5m.jpg

20160408_122134_zpsskr0ym7g.jpg

Does it get any more 70's than a pale yellow and grey station wagon on slot mags? I submit that it does not.

That's all I have for now. We'll see how productive I feel the rest of this weekend. Meanwhile in other news from my area:

20160408_115840_zpskffnqqel.jpg

(giggles immaturely)

• Like 1

Gotta love me some 710, even the wagons!  Even though I love my b210, I wish I could have found a 710, I would have even taken a wagon if one was available lol

Love the full on rat look you're going for.  Poor thing's got a lot of rust though.

Love the full on rat look you're going for.  Poor thing's got a lot of rust though.

Yeah I kind of have 3 ideas for body work.

1. leave it exactly how it is

2. wet sand the grey off and rock that rat look

3. fix all the dents, do a full respray with fake wood paneling

Probably won't do 1. THe rust also isnt too bad. Just rear wheel wells and some other surface spots.

Went out this morning and changed shifter bushings. It was shifting pretty well until it got stuck in 4th. Tried rocking the car, nothing. Tried giving the shifter a little love tap, broke the bottom of it off. NOt really sure what I'm going to do now. Probably just eat lunch and do some homework.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Almost a month since my last update, how's everybody doing? School is over and I only failed one class, so now I have a month to work on Datsuns before my summer job starts. 

I got some fresh new brass shifter bushings to see if that fixes my problems. pressed them into the shifter, had to file them down on the outside to fit it in the transmission

20160430_155924_zpsal1wyfvi.jpg

installed it this morning and no shit the car shifts like a dream! So stoked I don't need to swap the transmissions.

I also noticed while taking it on a test drive, the brakes are even worse than last time I drove it. Judging by the peeling paint and rust on the brake booster, there's a leak in my master cylinder. Going to get on rebuilding that after lunch.

IMPORTANT QUESTION (LOOK HERE): I'm putting my master cylinder/brake booster assembly back together. there appeared to be some residue on the back of the plate that goes between the master cylinder and the brake booster (plate pictured.) It may have been paint, or it may have been what's left of a shitty liquid gasket job. Is there supposed to be a gasket between this plate and the brake booster?

20160504_095243_zps3szhcmar.jpg

Brakes are just about ready to go. let me walk you through my rebuild+ghetto gasket making.

First off, this is what my brake booster looked like

20160503_122249_zpsyrfyuvqh.jpg

sorry for blurryness, I couldn't seem to hold the camera still.

I rebuilt the master cylinder, but no oics of that process because I'm sure you all know what the inside of a master cylinder looks like, plus my hands were covered in shit.

Making the gasket: I started off with an old bike inner tube.

20160504_101400_zps2ofihyfn.jpg

cut it to shape

20160504_101646_zpsyo1uhaxe.jpg

Put in the holes

20160504_105749_zpshru97qvb.jpg

I used some ultra blue to glue it to the back of the plate I made it for.

Here's an oic of the whole system put back in the car

20160504_113444_zps1ek5pdk4.jpg

mint

Gonna bleed the brakes when my dad gets home. Then I need to stop putting off working on the headlights and actually make them work.

Wait, we have another flip flopping datsun guy? I didn't even notice. I must shake this man's hand

Flip flops til I die. Unless I'm biking. Or skating. Or working. Or...

Never mind. Flip Flops until I need to go do something that requires closed toes

• Like 1

i learned the hard way why one doesn't ride a bike in flip flops. rail road tracks took me down and i had road rash from the rail road rocks from my knee down to half way down my foot. was a good ride and i was laughing the entire way home with blood running down my leg

Alright guys I honestly don't know what to do. I bled the brakes and the pedal felt awesome. Started the car backed out, no pedal. 3 pumps and it's fine. Get to the endof the street, no pedal, pump them again, they're fine. Get back home, turn the car off, brakes are there as soon as the car is turned off. Brake booster failure is the only thing I can think that would be an issue like that, maybe? Anyone experience anything like this before?

Pumping up the brakes to make them function is a sign of master cylinder failure, not brake booster.

What you are describing really just sounds like classic brake master failure.

However, the fact that they are present when it's off is very odd.

I have a stupid question

Did you bench bleed the master?

And how does the fluid look in the reserviors? Is it going down any? Have you tried sitting still and having someone watch the reserviors while pumping? Look for spurts and check the wheels for leaks?

However, the fact that they are present when it's off is very odd.

Exactly. Coupled with the fact that I just rebuilt the master cylinder makes me think it's something else.

I have a stupid question

Did you bench bleed the master?

And how does the fluid look in the reserviors? Is it going down any? Have you tried sitting still and having someone watch the reserviors while pumping? Look for spurts and check the wheels for leaks?

Yes I bled the master, no I haven't looked at the reservoirs while pumping. There's no leaks by the wheels.

I genuinely have no idea what it could be. Pedal is perfect when the car is off, shit when it's running.