A Crow to Eat, and a 710 Wagon (Single Cam KA swap) (Need Motor Mount Help plz respond)

Hey everybody, it's been a while since i was on here. I'll start things off by saying, you were right, I was in over my head on the 510. Ended up selling it off to some dude for more than I had in it, so I can't complain too hard.

Anyways, on a more positive note, I bought another old crappy Datsun, this time in the form of a 1975 710 wagon. Scooped it up for $300 "ran when parked, but not in 2nd, 4th or reverse." The owner before the guy who I bought it from swapped out the L engine for a Z22 from an 82 pickup (not the best I know, but I'm working with what I have.) Took about 2 weekends to get it running (short video below.) Anyways, hopefully I'll update it as I can, and it should be fun to drive.

The only good oic I have:

8733_zps7b0krwxh.jpeg

Video of it running:

won't let me embed, so here's a link: 

Now about the transmission issue. I went to the junkyard and pulled a trans from an 84(?) pickup, thinking it would work. I was wrong.

20160213_165423_zpscmerzaos.jpg

the new trans is about 5 inches shorter. But if i can find a long enough drive shaft, then it actually puts the shifter in a way better location, so if anyone knows of a driveshaft that's 50 inches long, plus or minus an inch or so, that would be rad.

Other than that, the only thing that needs immediate fixing is the headlights and tail lights don't work. All the bulbs are good, and the turn signals and hazards work, so I'm thinking maybe the switch is screwed up.

I think I've rambled enough, so I'll stop writing. The car is at my parents since my place doesn't let you work on cars, so I only get to work on it on weekends. Hopefully more updates soon, and hopefully we can all get along this time.

• Like 2
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They do make datsuns again currently. Emerging markets only, like India.

The trans issue you have is because the trucks came with both short and long series trannies. If you pulled it from a 4x4, it also doesn't have a speedometer pinion location, so you can't run a Speedo. But the short came in some 2wd as well, so you might be ok on that issue.

Good luck

• Like 1

They do make datsuns again currently. Emerging markets only, like India.

The trans issue you have is because the trucks came with both short and long series trannies. If you pulled it from a 4x4, it also doesn't have a speedometer pinion location, so you can't run a Speedo. But the short came in some 2wd as well, so you might be ok on that issue.

Good luck

It was definitely a 2wd truck. If most trucks have a longer trans,I may just take this short one back, since I dropped the 25 bucks to get a 7 month return policy.

• 3 weeks later...

No pics but a few updates. I haven't been very productive the last few weekends. The weathers getting nice so I've been jamming in the last few ski sessions of the year, and then riding my bike a lot more too.

I've been trying to find why my headlights don't work, and it hasn't been easy at all. The previous owner completely bastardized the wiring, and clearly he just never drove at night, because he cut out part of the wiring that powers the headlights. Smart.

Other than that, I've just been impulse buying things I don't need right now, and not buying things I do need right now. 2 Work Equip 02s showed up at my house last week, and I pulled a W58 head and some other L20B accessories off a 79 truck at the junkyard this weekend, so an LZ22 is going to happen sooner rather than later.

I got measurements off a factory 4 speed drive shaft, and it isn't long enough for my short transmission, so I'm taking that back and trying to find a long transmission. Thank God I sprung for the 7 month return policy.

That's all for now, hopefully I'll have some productive news next weekend.

• Like 1

Your 4 speed is 26" long. You need a 5 speed that is the same length for your driveshaft to work with it. There are none really that acceptable.

The 710 automatic and the 71B  5 speed from an L series truck, 810/Maxima or Z car (non turbo) are the same length and will fit. This is what I did. A '79 zx 5 speed. The mount needs mods but fits like a glove. Even the speedo cable reaches.

• Like 2

Your 4 speed is 26" long. You need a 5 speed that is the same length for your driveshaft to work with it. There are none really that acceptable.

The 710 automatic and the 71B  5 speed from an L series truck, 810/Maxima or Z car (non turbo) are the same length and will fit. This is what I did. A '79 zx 5 speed. The mount needs mods but fits like a glove. Even the speedo cable reaches.

Went to the Upull today and got a ZX trans. The length is the same as the old trans in the wagon, so it should fit. Also pulled more stuff for the LZ conversion. I now have:

w58 head with a cam and valves and such (probably going to rebuild with bigger valves, some porting and a more aggressive cam)

oil pump

timing gears

timing cover

timing chain guides

timing chain tensioner

Still need:

distributor

water pump

cam cover

head gasket

timing chain

I'm sure I'm forgetting other things I need

• Like 1

Updates with oics

I got my ZX transmission, and I need to swap bell housings for it to fit the Z22. Took apart the original trans to get the housings, and honestly, I'm not really sure why it wouldn't shift into half the gears, it looks pretty damn good on the inside20160320_161823_zps7h6a0ccv.jpg

I also spent several hours heating and cheater baring this damn drain plug out of the ZX transmission

20160320_144628_zpsbmofi4cw.jpg

My mechanical assistant (read: dad) is going to St. Thomas this weekend, so the next few updates are going to probably be more body work and cleaning than mechanical. Here's a pic of my hella tight JDM af wheels:

20160320_161854_zps496cevts.jpg

14x7 +10, need polishing

That's all I've got for now, see you guys next weekend

• Like 2

like, z22 swap is cool, not many done, there are reasons i guess, but i would bet it gets it alittle better than the old l20b that it came with.

and i think that makes it really easy for a ka swap down the line right?

couldn't play sound on your video, hows it run?

The guts of the trans looks gnarly, thanks for that pic. 
Those wheels are on point! Can't wait to see them polished up and on the car. 
Good luck on the wiring nightmare. Getting a set up that has been rat f****d by a past owner can be the worst. 

Why are you swapping the bell housing's if you are building a LZ based engine shouldn't the motor be at a L series angle not the Z series angle ? So you would just use the ZX bell housing as the Z and the L are the same bolt pattern just at different angle's for the different style motors.

Those wheels are an excellent choice! i love them and i dig a 710. Looks to be in solid shape!

Thanks. Picked them up for a song on ebay, now I just need to find another pair haha

like, z22 swap is cool, not many done, there are reasons i guess, but i would bet it gets it alittle better than the old l20b that it came with.

and i think that makes it really easy for a ka swap down the line right?

couldn't play sound on your video, hows it run?

Z22 isn't really the greatest. Valve angle prevents you from really being able to open it up for some real power. I have an L20B head that I'm planning on swapping sometime this summer probably to make an LZ22

The guts of the trans looks gnarly, thanks for that pic. 

Those wheels are on point! Can't wait to see them polished up and on the car. 

Good luck on the wiring nightmare. Getting a set up that has been rat f****d by a past owner can be the worst. 

No problem on the transmission picture. My dad rebuilds Roadster transmissions for people, so we actually have a couple bare transmissions lying around. I'm stoked on the wheels too.

As for the wiring, it's a bitch. I've sort of narrowed it down to 2 different problems, now I'm just working on how to fix it. 1 is the switch doesn't seem to work, which is easy. The other problem is that the wiring should go from the switch, through the turn signals (bad explanation) and that all got ripped out by the PO. So I guess he never drove at night or used turn signals...

Why are you swapping the bell housing's if you are building a LZ based engine shouldn't the motor be at a L series angle not the Z series angle ? So you would just use the ZX bell housing as the Z and the L are the same bolt pattern just at different angle's for the different style motors.

The bolt patterns are similar but sure as hell aren't the same. I'll get a side by side picture for you this weekend. Also, the trans bolts to the block, not the head, so I should need the bell housing for the Z block, regardless of what head is on it, right?

Wrong. Bell housing patterns L/Z/KA are all identical. L series simply leans like 13 degrees (or something like that) in the opposite direction of the Z and KA. The bellhousings account for this difference by rotating the bolt pattern around so the shifter still points straight up.

L leans so drivers side intake manifold clears the hood. Z leans so passenger side intake clears hood. Use the bellhousing that matches the HEAD you are using for this reason.