Photo
- - - - -

A Crow to Eat, and a 710 Wagon (Single Cam KA swap) (Need Motor Mount Help plz respond)

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#41 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Cars:'75 710 Wagon, '85 Toyota Supra, '89 CRX Si

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

Brakes are just about ready to go. let me walk you through my rebuild+ghetto gasket making.

First off, this is what my brake booster looked like

20160503_122249_zpsyrfyuvqh.jpg

sorry for blurryness, I couldn't seem to hold the camera still.

I rebuilt the master cylinder, but no oics of that process because I'm sure you all know what the inside of a master cylinder looks like, plus my hands were covered in shit.

Making the gasket: I started off with an old bike inner tube.

20160504_101400_zps2ofihyfn.jpg

cut it to shape

20160504_101646_zpsyo1uhaxe.jpg

Put in the holes

20160504_105749_zpshru97qvb.jpg

I used some ultra blue to glue it to the back of the plate I made it for.

Here's an oic of the whole system put back in the car

20160504_113444_zps1ek5pdk4.jpg

mint

Gonna bleed the brakes when my dad gets home. Then I need to stop putting off working on the headlights and actually make them work.

#42 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts
  • Cars:73 620, 77 620kc, 02 300m, 96 s10

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:34 AM

I like the gasket.

Lol you really think he would tell anyone, ahh yes Mr. Peterson I was taken a piss and everything got dark like there was an eclipse, when I look back to see what was making the shade when WHAM!! Cock hit me right in the face. I don't know whose it was but we could match up the bruise.

you assume i have any fucks

#43 Draker

Draker

Ratsun-Erect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,448 posts
  • Cars:1971 2 door 510, 1969 4 door 510, 2002 Tacoma double cab

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

I like the gasket.

How about the flip flops?

View my 69 510 4dr Sedan - Build Thread
View my 72 1200 Sedan - Build Thread
View my 71 510 2dr Sedan - Coming soon.. ish

http://drakers.pl510.info

#44 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

Wait, we have another flip flopping datsun guy? I didn't even notice. I must shake this man's hand

Lol you really think he would tell anyone, ahh yes Mr. Peterson I was taken a piss and everything got dark like there was an eclipse, when I look back to see what was making the shade when WHAM!! Cock hit me right in the face. I don't know whose it was but we could match up the bruise.

#45 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

Wait, we have another flip flopping datsun guy? I didn't even notice. I must shake this man's hand

Flip flops til I die. Unless I'm biking. Or skating. Or working. Or...

Never mind. Flip Flops until I need to go do something that requires closed toes

#46 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

i learned the hard way why one doesn't ride a bike in flip flops. rail road tracks took me down and i had road rash from the rail road rocks from my knee down to half way down my foot. was a good ride and i was laughing the entire way home with blood running down my leg

#47 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

Alright guys I honestly don't know what to do. I bled the brakes and the pedal felt awesome. Started the car backed out, no pedal. 3 pumps and it's fine. Get to the endof the street, no pedal, pump them again, they're fine. Get back home, turn the car off, brakes are there as soon as the car is turned off. Brake booster failure is the only thing I can think that would be an issue like that, maybe? Anyone experience anything like this before?

#48 Lockleaf

Lockleaf

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,550 posts
  • Cars:'71 510 Goon, '90 240SX, '85 720, '69 Roadster, '96 Pathfinder, too much other shite

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

Pumping up the brakes to make them function is a sign of master cylinder failure, not brake booster.

What you are describing really just sounds like classic brake master failure.

However, the fact that they are present when it's off is very odd.

Half Pint ('71 510 Goon) http://community.rat...agon/p?=1269361

Audrey ('69 Roadster 1600) http://community.rat...rey-the-ratster

Tiny Havok ('85 720 DIY built Crewcab 4x4) http://community.rat...ache/?p=1395455

720 Shenanigans http://community.rat...20-shenanigans/

#49 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:42 AM

I have a stupid question

Did you bench bleed the master?

And how does the fluid look in the reserviors? Is it going down any? Have you tried sitting still and having someone watch the reserviors while pumping? Look for spurts and check the wheels for leaks?

#50 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

However, the fact that they are present when it's off is very odd.

Exactly. Coupled with the fact that I just rebuilt the master cylinder makes me think it's something else.

I have a stupid question

Did you bench bleed the master?

And how does the fluid look in the reserviors? Is it going down any? Have you tried sitting still and having someone watch the reserviors while pumping? Look for spurts and check the wheels for leaks?

Yes I bled the master, no I haven't looked at the reservoirs while pumping. There's no leaks by the wheels.

I genuinely have no idea what it could be. Pedal is perfect when the car is off, shit when it's running.

#51 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

Well, still have no idea what the problem was. Maybe I was just really tired yesterday or something, but the brakes are fine now. there's still a little air in the system that needs to get bled, but the pedal isn't hitting the floor or anything like that. 

I have a few more things to ad to the to do list, in addition to headlights.

1. carb needs tuning. If you go full throttle it almost stalls the engine. May solve this issue with cleaning, may solve this issue with the Weber 32/36 I bought for my 510 back in the day.

2. E brake needs adjustment.

3. Get fuel and temp gauges working. It'd be nice to get that combo gauge working too

4. I want to put a tach in it, since it doesn't have one.

5. Mirrors and windshield wipers so I can legally register it.

I fucking suck at wiring so the headlights and gauges aren't going to be fun.

#52 LenRobertson

LenRobertson

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Cars:'72 510 4-door, '79 200SX, '77 F10 humpback

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

I'm much enjoying this thread since a 710 goon is my current dream Datsun. I almost had my F10 traded for one a couple of years ago, but I think the guy with the 710 sobered up or something.

We've been beating carb hesitation to death over in these two threads:

http://community.rat...8-carb-rebuild/

http://community.rat...10-goon/page-23(carbs starts about half way down the page).

In post #457 on that page I give a link to the DQ articles on carb tuning. Even if you decide to go Weber, there is some good info there.

Your brake mystery problem may just be the Datsun gods screwin' with you. Testing you to be sure you are worthy of Datsun ownership.

Len

#53 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

I'm much enjoying this thread since a 710 goon is my current dream Datsun. I almost had my F10 traded for one a couple of years ago, but I think the guy with the 710 sobered up or something.

We've been beating carb hesitation to death over in these two threads:

http://community.rat...8-carb-rebuild/

http://community.rat...10-goon/page-23(carbs starts about half way down the page).

In post #457 on that page I give a link to the DQ articles on carb tuning. Even if you decide to go Weber, there is some good info there.

Your brake mystery problem may just be the Datsun gods screwin' with you. Testing you to be sure you are worthy of Datsun ownership.

Len

Thanks for the links Len. Keep your eyes out on craigslist. The 710s don't show up often, but when they do, they are typically cheap as hell since they haven't blown up like 510s

#54 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

Headlights are working, 1 bright is burned out. The bright switch also seems to not be working, so I have only brights. Hopefully they're dim enough that's not a problem. Wipers are working at both speeds (slow and slower) Need to add a throttle cable to my list as the PO appears to have used a bike brake cable as the throttle cable. 

#55 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

I haven't seen the pedal end of my throttle cable but mine basically looked like a bike cable before I got to ot

#56 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

I haven't seen the pedal end of my throttle cable but mine basically looked like a bike cable before I got to ot

Sad thing is, I think I have a spare bike cable that will probably end up the new throttle cable...

#57 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

TIMING QUESTION: What should I set my ignition timing to? I can't find my truck shop manual and I want to try and set the timing on the car.

#58 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

Some carb updates:

I didn't actually need to adjust my throttle cable, it was fully opening. I decided to make sure my secondaries were opening. The vacuum hose going to the activator (not sure if that's the technical term) had a big old crack in it

20160510_180227_zpsxpjb9ikt.jpg

I decided to use a vacuum tester to see if the secondaries opened. Instead of that happening, it started sucking gas through the vacuum tester. So bad diaphragm.

Ever the optimist, I decided that this was the perfect excuse to swap on ye olde Weber down draft that I wanted to put on this car anyways.

After taking a bunch of pictures of how the vacuum lines all went just in case I had to go back to the Hitachi, I ripped out the old carb

The gaskets have certainly seen better days.

20160510_184357_zps0ruvv8bm.jpg

20160510_184406_zpscqexlywh.jpg

Also, am I going to need to take this spacer over, or will the adapter kit for the Weber space it out enough?

20160510_184415_zps0vubeqno.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help, should have more on the carb swap saga later tonight or tomorrow

#59 cleverusername

cleverusername

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

Some updates for you guys

My rotors were really thin, so I got some new ones

old vs. new

20160511_170046_zpsidx2petc.jpg

When I was pulling off the rotors I noticed some signs of the calipers leaking so I decided to rebuild them since I bought like 4 rebuild kits when I first bought the car

20160511_174029_zpsjzkqojtp.jpg

all done and put back together. 

Now I'm just waiting for someone to come home and help me bleed them.

I also took apart my Weber to get baseline jest sizes. The adapter's on, I just have to mess with a few things with throttle linkages to get that on and start tuning it.

That's all for now, see you next time.

#60 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

You could always:

20160223_162741.jpg

???