New to the Datsun world with a '71 521 and a KA swap

hellrbbt

I've been lurking for quite some time, figured I should finally post.

I come from the VW world, I'm currently building/resto-mod/whatever a 1984 GTI that's been in progress for about 4 years now... Someday I'll get it done.  :rofl:

Anyways, I've always wanted a 521/620 pickup, and this 1971 521 fell into my hands. I don't know much about the history of it, other than it came from Colorado and it's really just a shell. Came with the stock 4 speed trans, a 5 speed trans (not sure what it is out of), and a questionable L20b. That's about all it came with.

So far I sourced a bench seat out of a late 80's toyota pickup, a KA24DE out of an S13 (with trans), and some other odds and ends. I've rebuilt the rear brakes, and now going to move up to the front brakes with a disc conversion as soon as I can source some decent hubs.

The KA is at the machine shop now getting all the machine work done. I was told it sat for a few months, however I think it was more like a few years from the condition it was in. Top end is great with the exception of some surface rust on the cams. Bottom end was locked up, but after a few days of soaking the cylinders in PB blaster it loosened up. Cylinder 2 lost a rod bearing, which I am guessing is why it was pulled. Still waiting to hear back from the machine shop if the crank is savable (they think it should) and if I'll need a new rod (got a bit out of round).

Still have a ways to go on this, but I figured I could document my progress here for the technical side of things.

Now, everyone loves pics:

w2FkCrhh.jpg

7Ob3Ekmh.jpg

GzgP9keh.jpg

gzfVqpEh.jpg

fMAaKGWh.jpg

4kLv1lXh.jpg

7ERe4O3h.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't look like an S13 transmission, looks lie for a Z series engine. Got better pictures of it?

BTW, nice first post..... with pictures.

That's the 5 speed that came with the truck. I don't have any pictures of the S13 transmission, although it is a bit longer than that one and the 4 speed.

I can get more pics of that transmission if needed, it has ZL 71B #5 on the casing, and 0368409 stamped on the bellhousing. A friend of mine with a 510 is very interested in it as long as I don't end up using it with the L20b (which is doubtful at this point).

And thanks! Figured I would make my introduction worthwhile.

• Like 2

Nice ass first post!!

Nice truck too.

Looks like you know what your doing... I'll be watching.

Haha, thanks! I know just enough to be dangerous and learn the rest as I go...

Not extremely practical, but I sure love the wall of windows on that shop!! If I was more into working on cars, I'd say you could drop that GTI off at my place :) Glad to see you're working on the 521.

Yea, they aren't practical at all except for the amazing light they let in... I wish I had the additional storage space though!

The GTI will likely stay with me forever... Here's the build thread for the GTI: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=5718360

most people take the hood off when pulling a motor

I think thats a nice truck!!!!!!!!!!! and awesoem color . Do the truck right

Yea, the hood will come off when I put the motor in. I'll do it right though. Most of the truck is in great condition, so I got lucky and will leave the body as-is for now...

I'm slowly coming across more parts that the truck is missing that I need to find. For instance when I figured out why the driver's side door glass wouldn't roll up, I found the glass wasn't on the regulator, and the glass isn't even for this truck...

• Like 1

Well, the KA should be back from the machine shop either Friday or early next week. I just need to either find a matching connecting rod, a replacement set of rods, or pay $60-70 to have the one bad rod machine back into spec. The block turned out fine, however there was one spot where some pitting was a bit more than what could be bored out. Went 0.020" over and he said even 0.040" out wouldn't have gotten it, and to get it completely would need a sleeve. He said that it's about the size of a BB, nothing that would effect daily usage (not trying to beat on this motor too much... Yet.  :devil:

Besides the connecting rod search, the last issue I'm having is engine mounts. The truck came with only one motor mount, so I decided to buy two new ones. I guess I should have done more research as below is what I got... Is this mount (left) for a different bracket or something? I can easily make the new mount work, but if I can get the correct mounts, of course that would be the better option.

VMqBkFGl.jpg

w4JMwL6l.jpg

3DpJiIsl.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

A few updates:

- The KA is pretty much done being rebuilt. Just need to torque down the cam bolts and finish bolting all the accessories and brackets back on.

- Been slowly weeding through the engine harness. There's a complete lack of S13's around here (and everyone wants an arm and a leg for an oem harness online), so I ended up getting a harness and ECU out of an Altima. A few connectors are different, but shouldn't be a big deal.

- Ordered mklotz's disc brake brackets.

- Started going through the truck wiring. I decided it was best to start over. The cab/dash is about 90% wired, just have to wrap up the headlight switch, turn signal switch, and the hazard switch. I opted for Speedway Motors harness, which it looks like almost all of the harnesses at this price point are exactly the same, just different branding.

9IISKNxl.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

2EJKtuTl.jpg

Most of the chassis wiring is done. Head lights, front turns and running lights, heater fan, and wipers work. I relayed the power to the stock headlight relay, and added a relay to power the accessory circuit as well as the original accessory circuit was just the radio it seems right off the ignition switch.

I didn't feel like selling a kidney to get some OEM tail light lenses that aren't trash, so I opted to order some LED trailer lights for the rear tails. Should be here by the end of the week so i can get those wired up.

Lastly I need to run a power for the reverse lights and fuel pump, and punch a hole for the engine harness. Then just clean and tuck the wiring!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Some updates, pardon the mess of a garage...

Got Mike's front disc brake kit mostly installed:

h6bUnFrl.jpg

And finished up my new tails. Just need to wrap the wiring up. Nice thing about this is except for the 2 holes on each side I had to drill, this is completely reversible to return to the stock tails.

A5LdB13l.jpg

UjX0Caal.jpg

Still not sure when I'll get this thing done, but progress is progress.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Not much progress. Most of the rear wheel studs were cross threaded beyond repair, so I am in process of replacing those. One of those m'fers just did not want to come out, so I had to coax it a bit:

4GdG6V9l.jpg

I had pretty much everything ready to go this weekend to put the engine and trans in the truck when I realized that the shaft cover on the front cover on the trans was missing, which explained why the throwout bearing/sleeve didn't seem to look right when installed...

If anyone has a line on a 240sx downpipe, shifter, or driveshaft (I'm pretty sure a 4cyl manual D21 driveshaft would work as well?), those are the last remaining bits I need to source, and can't find anything local...

• Like 3

If those are the rear wheel studs I would check the fit of the new studs in the axle. The studs in the picture look like they might have wobbled out the hole they are mounted in.

They were the rear studs. They didn't wobble at all, just needed a bit of persuasion to press out. I'm following this for replacing the rear studs: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/43937-replacing-521-wheel-studs/

• Like 1