620 restore and modern update (daily driver)

skyshadow

I had a fairly eventful weekend. Tore down the CA to replace the timing belt, water pump etc. Decided to paint the covers when putting it back together. Here's a look. 

20160227_230943.jpg

20160228_111033.jpg

Also took a wire wheel to the cab to clean up the rust. Found more holes then I wanted to :/ I'll be putting in new sheet metal in the places I circled. That is not a fun job. If Anyone feels like doing that for me, I'll buy you beer. 

20160228_175030.jpg

20160228_174949.jpg

And Lastly, I got some old Z seats to spice things up a little bit. I think since I'm running a CA18det, I earned them. 

20160228_175006.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to eliminate all stock wiring that went to the stock motor, since I'm going to be running the CA18. I also want to blend the CA harness and the 620 harness into one. So keep lights and horns etc and remove all relays and ignition wires not needed. I've decided this will be easier done with the stock harness plugged up. Just go wire by wire and remove unneeded stuff. 

• Like 1

WTF!!!!!!!!OK I don't get this one

You keep the stock harness and if it works then just leave it.

To hook up the modern CA18 if this is Fuel injected motor you just power this motor harness that you got with the car from the car with the box module.

Youll use the stock 620 ignition harness to turn on the relays they you add to power the engine harness fuel pump ect.....THIS IS THE EZist way.

to rewire the lights ful tank sender ect just don't make sense and be honest wont get done.YOU WILLL NOT FINNISH THIS just drive to scrapper know if the harness already has been Yank out .

look up KA wiring on here using a can-Am box.in the HOW TO section.

to remove the relays for the lights don't make sense. side markers ect........

stock harness plugged up?????

• Like 3

stock harness plugged up?????

As in plugged into lights and markers so I can see what isnt used on the new set up. I.E. pretty sure the starter wire would not still be used from the L16. 

I would rather not run two stock harness' on my truck with tons on unnecessary wires floating around. Looks tacky to me. I'm going to run my CA18 ECU under the passenger seat with the Can am box then blend the two harness' at the firewall to flow as one. 

BUT.. I've ran into bigger problems anyways. Looks like the CA18det harness I got with my motor has been cavalierly chopped up. So, important things like Cam angle sensor and MAF were, for some reason, cut off. 

I think I'll just focus on getting the thing to run now, before I try cleaning it up. 

• Like 1

That is a lot of (!)...lol  Calm down. I think you are either misinterpreting what I am saying or assuming this is my first wiring rodeo. I do not need the 8ish gauge wire that goes from the stock relay to the L16 starter to turn it over. I can use the ignition signal wire from the original set up but that is different. Eliminating that stock relay set up would be much cleaner. Sure, I don't have to do it but I wanna. I did a throw together on a LS swapped C10 and it looked like a rat's nest under the hood. 

• Like 1

So I got one or two things done this weekend. I pulled the cab from the frame, pressure washed everything, covered the frame,engine bay and underbody with POR15 (Then covered the underbody in sound deadening undercoating), mocked up the engine and trans, built solid mounts, mounted the engine and trans and slipped the cab back on. 

Everything looks great but I just have a few fitment problems with the steering. Going to have to go rack and pinion. Miata set ups work? Also, the rubber bushings from the body mounts were shot. To my knowledge, there isnt a company that makes a replacement set, right? I just have to piece something together from a universal kit..? And of course, I still need a damn driver side fender. 

Here are some pics though... 

20160319_220305.jpg

20160320_115458_HDR.jpg

downloadme.jpg20160320_175506.jpg

20160320_225020.jpg

20160320_225012.jpg

With this last pic, you can see how the turbo it right in the way of the original steering. You can also see one of the adapters I build to mount the CA18. 

20160320_225308.jpg

• Like 1

Yes sir. Took the CA18 original mounts off but left the brackets. Just built a single bolt mounting adapter from the frame up. Welded to the frame but bolted to the engine bracket. Let me raise the motor up a little to allow the steering components to clear the oil pan. Also solid trans mount. For those, I took the original trans mount off the CA, burned it till all the rubber melted off, broke it apart then wire wheeled it down. Then just welded that from the trans to the original L16 trans cross member. 

• Like 1