620 restore and modern update (daily driver)

skyshadow

Hey guys, I just bought a 1973 620 for myself. First Datsun I've owned, But not the first project car. The truck is a field find. Got it for $750 delivered out of Texas. Motor is locked up, side windows busted, some body damage. But, the rust is minimal. I have planned a full restore with a SR20det under the hood. I'm here for all the expert advice on doing such a thing. (For example, Can Am box, engine mounts...etc?) I'll try to keep everything documented and photographed, I know I like following builds via pics. Anyways, Here are some pics of the truck as is. 

2015-10-09.jpg

2015-10-09%201.jpg

2015-10-12.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Import all the Datsuns ya can to OKlahoma. Nearly all that were here back in the day got used up and recycled.

As Banzai suggested:

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

And this is helpful:

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun620/Datsun620Index/tabid/2305/Default.aspx

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement and links guys. The Olddatsuns link looks like it will be especially helpful. Kind of sucks how many links on the tech page were dead though. 

Red13, Whats the name of your Fbook page? 

Any word on how to obtain one of the mythical Can Am boxes? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement and links guys. The Olddatsuns link looks like it will be especially helpful. Kind of sucks how many links on the tech page were dead though. 

PM user: Icehouse

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/Hackers-Hack-Up-1973-Datsun-620-Rebuild-1854433418114441/

• Like 1

The guy who sold me the 620 said instead of junking, I should sell any and all parts I will not use. Things like the trans, engine, radiator... etc. Told me they are not easy to come by so I should sell instead of trash. Is that true? My last project had a 305 with a 400 trans and I couldn't give those away. 

• Like 1

The guy who sold me the 620 said instead of junking, I should any and all parts I will not use. Things like the trans, engine, radiator... etc. Told me they are not easy to come by so I should sell instead of trash. Is that true? My last project had a 305 with a 400 trans and I couldn't give those away. 

ucan sale them and if they are in decent shape.  Assuming its stock has the L16 in it with the short tail 4 spd.   few people are looking for such setups.  I want good gas mileage so I kept my l16.  However I am not using the short tail 4spd I got a 5 spd out of a 280zx.

• Like 1

Wrenched on the truck this weekend. Took off the damaged body parts and cleaned the interior out. The rust is not nearly as bad as I was bracing myself for. 

20151101_135731.jpg

Mostly going to be a little patch work and a new floorpan on the driver side. 

20151101_114627.jpg

Somehow the floorboard is damaged. The wrecked front end doesn't look bad enough to do that but, it is damaged. 

20151101_135706_HDR.jpg

The damaged parts were the bumper, left fender and grill. 

20151101_135713.jpg

One sucky part is my core support got a little mangled from the wreck. I probably wont replace but, straighten it as much as possible. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I'm back at it. I fell off this project through the winter, my bad. But, I'm getting back into it. I bought a CA18det with a auto trans and some Porsche 914 bucket seats. I went with a CA18 instead of SR20 for price and the fact that I'm not trying to build a power monster. I am going to use the 914 seats to replicate the old school JDM race buckets that came in 240Z's. I still need to patch up some floor pan holes as well. Oh, I finally got the Title 42 done so I have the title for the truck (will have). That shit is annoying and expensive. 

• Like 1

Got the truck moved into my garage for the engine drop. The CA is sitting to the left of the truck, you can kind of see it. Will pull the original motor Wednesday or this weekend. Having a full time job really slows things down. Then I'll start clean up and prep before throwing the CA in. I think I'm going to start a separate thread for what it requires to do a CA18DET swap. Also I cut that boat anchor of a bumper off the back. Anyone want one of those, come pick it up. lol 

dat620.jpg

• Like 1

Welp, Moving along on this. I got the L16 engine pulled. If anyone wants it or the 4 speed trans that goes with it, PM me. I also bought a pressure washer to start cleaning this truck. I'm sure it'll pay for itself soon enough. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. 

sad little empty engine bay that needs a deep cleaning. The stock engine came out very very easily. 

20160216_205503.jpg

Old one sitting next to it's replacement... 

20160216_205512.jpg

What $120 of this shit looks like -_-

20160216_182223.jpg

• Like 1

So I searched something like 5 salvage yards in the area for Datsun parts and came back with very very little. I did score on a new grill and passenger window that a guy had in inventory since 1986. I was unable to find any 620's at any salvage yard in the area. In fact, I only found one Dat at all (pictured). Still need some interior pieces and a left fender. If you guys know of any hidden salvage yards in the Midwest with Dats, that would be awesome. I know there is a gentleman on here that can get me some parts but the shipping of the parts is as expensive as the part.. 

20160217_144907.jpg

Notice the date of inventory...

20160217_144914.jpg

Only Datsun I know of in the OKC area.. 

20160217_122037_HDR.jpg

• Like 3